Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Positive ELISA but an indeterminate Western Blot

I recently been denied life insurance based on the HIV test results thy have received from their lab.   The test came back as a positive ELISA test and an indeterminate Western Blot with GP160 only detected.  I've been married for 15 years and i did have one "safe sex" affair two years ago. Since then, my only partner has been my wife and she recently tested negative when she applied for insurance.  I have remaind on very good terms with the other partner and have been in contact with her.  She relayed to me that she was tested 6 months ago before trying to get pregnant and her results were negative.

Due to certain marital issues, I last had sex with my wife about 5 months ago...longer that what I have read as the "window period"

I contacted my Dr. who somewhat eluded that he wasn't very confident with the insurance company's lab work and ordered a new test.  We expect the results on Tuesday but, as you can imagine, I am a bit panicked.

Thank you......
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your doctor is right.  Most indeterminate HIV western blots resolve as negative, and that's especially the case for those with only a GP160 band.

So no reason to panic.  Almost certainly you do not have HIV.  And it sounds like you have a knowledgeable doc; follow up with him.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 1
My Dr. just called me and let me know that my 2nd test came back as negative.  I want to thank the folks who set up this site and the Dr..  Whether he provides good news or bad, he does it with great honesty and with good explinations as to why.  To be forthcoming, I did ask on another forum and their response was in line with Dr. H's.  It seems that much of the information found on the web is dated and doomsday like.  

Once again....Thank You to all.
Helpful - 0
Pardon the typos...nerves.
Helpful - 0
Thank you....I will be contacting him tomorrow morning. By the way, my wife wouldn't be a risk factor. The issue we are having is her fear fo intimacy after two very traumatic births she went through. We are just getting back into "getting to know each other".

Also, I was wondering if certain medications can deliver positive results. I am currently taking an SRI for anxiety. I was tempted to triple my dose over the past few days.

Thank you again for your taking the time to answer my question. Congratulations on your good work.
Helpful - 0
Thank you....I will be contacting him tomorrow morning.  By the way, my wife wouldn't be a risk factor.  The issue we are having is her fear fo intimacy after two very traumatic births she went through.  We are just getting back int "getting to know each other".

Also, I was wondering if certain medications can dekiver positive results.  I am currently taking an SRI for anxiety.  I was tempted to triple my dose over the past few days.

Thank you again for your taking the time to answer my question.  Congratulations on your good work.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.