Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Exposure and Testing

Hi Doc,

Im a heterosexual 27 year old male whose last exposure was around the end of July (round 7/27 or so) which included a breif 1-2 second exposed penis inside a vagina after the condom broke.  I quickly exited and washed of my penis.  Another incident after that was a blow job with anus licking performed (unprotected) by another stranger the very next day.  So within two days, these are my examples.  The symptoms that followed were a 7-10 days later, swollen nodes in my neck (confirmed by a doctor) and felt weak.  A week after that, they went away and I was fine.  Just this past week (week of 9/3), I started getting tired again and I feel like I have a sore throat and my legs are feeling very weak.  WIth all that I got tested on 8/14 via OraQuick gum swab and it came back negative.  Now, I read that this is too early to test but can you please provide a % of accuracy at that early of an stage?  Basically, what Im looking for is that if a person was to become infected by this virus, what are the chances that a test will pick it up broken down within weeks after exposure...for ex:  you say that 6 weeks is a good indication of not being infected...can you put a % on that?  What Im really looking for is the % on 16-22 days test after the last possible exposure in regards to reliability.  If there are any examples for your response, please let me know.  Thanks a lot.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would love nothing more than to get on with my life but for some reason I just cannot.  I was doing better and then I woke up this morning at 4am and started thinking this girl was maybe once a guy and had transgendered surgery!!  Then I started thinking "did I do anal on her not vaginal?"  how would I know the difference if I have never performed anal on a woman.  I didnt look I just pushed till I found the hole and away I went.

She is a taller girl with very small breasts and maybe longer fingers than a girl should have.......what to do?  I am extrememely paranoid at the best of times....imagine how I feel right now..!!!

I dont know what to do. I am going crazy and nobody to talk to about it.
Helpful - 0
you went to a massage parlour in canada i was in another country, i would not even worry if it was canada, the prevelance rate of hiv here in canada is so low, i woulnt even  worry especially when she told you that she is the one who should worry. anyways i will be getting tested one more time sometime in the future although my anxiety has gone away now. You are going to be fine you have no symptoms or anything so you should just drop this whole incident and move on. Good luck even though your fine.
Helpful - 0
Glad it worked out for you!  I am trying really hard to move on with my life but there is still nagging doubt there.  I had zero sypmtoms for anything and did not get any other STD and was tested for those within 3.5days excpet hepb which I was tested for 2 weeks later.  

I have read a document from King County in response to media reports at the time, oddly enough (does not say who it was written by) from 2002 and they say that vaginal sex is very low risk especially for the insertive and that vaginal secretions have lower concentrations compared to semen.  They also say there is less surface area contact for a penis and that the penis is withdrawn right after sex whereas the vagina(or rectum) contains the semen in their bodies increasing their risk somewhat.  They also say the rectum is the most susceptible to tearing and HIV infection due to thin membrane? and easy tearing giving the virus better more direct access to the body, which the Dr. says is necessary for transmission.
Highest risk seems to be the same whatever I read and it is anal sex esp.receptive, and IV drug use.....

Of course this is what the Dr. repeatedly says here but the difference is we don't see it everyday day in and day out as he does so it is a hard concept to grasp for the layman (no pun intended).

Regardless, glad you are ok.
Helpful - 0
Similar to worried, but my exposure could have been unprotected vaginal throughout whole duration with African sex worker !! (unfortunately to drunk to remember)

I had all the symptoms, (infact still do) negative tests at 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 weeks. Local STD clinic will not even test me at 12 weeks as they consder the risk so low now - to be honest they were not really happy at doing the 10 week test.

Just so you are aware I live in UK, (London) the clinic I visited tests pretty much every type of nationality / creed and colour with all different risk type scenarios, they have never seen a six week negative turn positive in the last 10 years, just like the Doc. says, but he states in the last 20 years !!

Take Care and Good Luck - Five.
Helpful - 0
your risk should not be of any concern it was extremely low so dont stress, my condom broke at a massage parlour in cancun mexico and i never noticed until i was finished. i felt all the smptoms on time and everything, i took a test at 7 days and 5 weeks and 8 weeks all negative, my doc said that im in the 99.9% range of not being infected and told me too move on now, hopefully he is right since im not stressed and anxious and due to that i instantly dont feel any more symptoms. Its all because we are soo paranoid that we have it and examine ourselves constantly, of course we are going to find something. i say just relax and wait till the 42 day mark, you will be fine. oh and i had swollen lymphnodes diagnosed by a doctor as well but those can be caused by many other things, such cuts scrapes or other illnesses. as well he goes lymphnodes are like spunges u keep playing with them they will swell.

Good luck
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The OraQuick oral fluids test has exactly the same performance as standard, lab-based testing.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Redskin, You are going through a lot of the same "symtoms" I did.  It's all stress in my opinion - it was with me. My exposures were just as minimal risk as yours but I did a job on myself with stress related thoughts and had the exact same things happen to me. Just relax - As the doc says, not from this one.
Helpful - 0
Thanks Doc,

Another question I have is in reference to the test that I used, OraQuick gum swab at the 16-22 day mark.  Is this test just as reliable as the blood test?
Helpful - 0
First line is supposed to read "with the precision you seek".  Sorry for the typo.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, there simply are no data on seroconversion window with the precisiou seek.  They do not exist; all you have is expert opinion extrapolated from fairly small numbers in actual research.  The consensus is that virtually all infected people will have positive antibody tests by 6 weeks.  It's probably somewhere around 50-70% at 16-22 days.

If you were to turn up with a positive test and you were my patient, my first reaction would be to look you in the eye and say "OK, let's discuss your real risks.  Because you didn't get it during the exposures you have described."  The events you escribe simply are too low risk to be plausible as sources of HIV infection.  Your symptoms have no bearing on that judgment.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.