Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

still worried about hiv

Hi doctor, I recently have had sexual encounters with 5 females, two of which were unprotected vaginal and oral sex. This was all over a period of two and a half months. Now this was all in pennsylvania and I got tested for HIV with a blood test. That came back negative, but then about a month after my last sexual encounter (protected) I stared feeling these weird symptoms, such as heart palpitations, stiffness in my neck, headaches, and even some blurry vision. So I went to get tested again, this time I used the orasure because the people at planned parenthood said I had to wait three months before I took another blood test. However I felt so physically down that I really thought I had HIV. I went to a place that did the orasure and I got tested 2 and 3 months after my last sexual encounter. At three months it was 102 and 89 days since the last two unprotected sex encounters, and 84 from my last sexual encounter period. That also came back negative. However since then i've  noticed dark circle spots on my chest, shoulders and even a bit on my penis, and i have been so fatigued that even when i lay down i cant relax. Now i have suffered from mitral valve prolapse for about two years now and the doctors said that i can have fatigue and heart palpitatins, but i've never had it to this extreme. Also i have had body aches, and what even feels like some crackling in my lungs when i breath. So i'm more than 4 months since my last sexual encounter and i took an orasure quick oral test and that came back negative. The doctors that i have been going to think there is nothing wrong with me cause they have taken blood numerous times, and the only thing that was of a concern was that my white blood cell count fell about a couple hundred points lower than normal, but about a week and a half later, it was back to normal. So I was wondering...

1) I have had the following HIV tests done...
   Blood test 2 1/2 weeks after my last sexual enncounter
   Orasure two week result test 2 and 3 months after my last sexual encounter (102 and 89 days after my last two unprotected sexual encounters respectively at the 3 month orasure)
   oraquick at over 4 months after my last sexual encounter, more than 130 days of the last two unprotected sex acts.

Am I still at a risk for HIV or are the tests that I have done accurate? Cause i've heard some bad things about orasure and oraquick lately, and this is why i'm worried again.

2) Do the symptoms I have told you seem to sound like HIV even after getting tested the way I did? Seems like the docs cant find whats wrong with me.

Thank you very much for your time!!

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Coated tongue is a normal, physiologic occurrence that happens to everyone from time to time.  Sometimes it is due to a viral infection, like a cold.

Please don't post questions about every questionably abnormal thing you notice about your body.  Whatever things you notice, your tests prove that HIV cannot be the cause--and this forum is strictly limited to HIV related issues.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thank you doc for your input, I was very worried there and for the longest time I felt like I was on the verge of getting sick but I just wouldnt and I would feel like utter ****. I still do feel this way, but at least I know that I can finally start to get over this. One more thing, i've noticed that another one of my symptoms were like a white thin flim on my tongue. Sometimes I can see it very well other times I cant. I was wondering if this thin white film on my tongue can be linked to hiv/other std? Anyone also with an opinion can respond to this.

Thank you
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That information doesn't change my opinion.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Some of my other symptoms are loss of weight, and continued vision loss, seems to just get worse.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No online doc can tell what someone has when in-person medical evaluation has not been able to do so.  All I can say is that your test results prove without doubt that your symptoms are not due to HIV.  Follow your doctors' advice about your symptoms and what the cause might be, or seek another opinion if you are not convinced they are on top of things.  But you can be 100% certain HIV isn't the cause.  There is nothing more I can do.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.