Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Psoriasis and antibody production

Dear Doctor,

First I want to thank you for sharing your expertise. Please forgive me if I'm not brief enough, but I thought it was necessary to give you some background.  

I am a female and had unprotected vaginal sex with a guy about 15 weeks ago.  About 10 days after we had sex, I began having loose stools (not watery, but not formed either).  A few days later, I noticed post nasal drip.  I began to worry about HIV since this individual had a promiscuous background.  I expressed my concerns to him and he offered to get tested.  In the meantime, I took a test at about 10 weeks (68 days) which came back negative.

I went back to the doc at about 13 weeks because the above symptoms got worse. I did have a fever of 99 degrees in her office. She did notice swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. (only checked neck)  She said not to test again until 6 months, and said that she really didn't know what to think of my negative results at 10 weeks.  She did say that she doesn't really have a lot of experience with HIV patients. She prescribed an antibiotic and said to buy claritin.  I left feeling more discouraged.  

As far as the guy goes, he mailed me a note from the clinic saying his "labs were within normal range".  It did not show what he was tested for and his overall attitude changed which makes me uneasy.

These are my questions:

1. I have had psoriasis since I was 12.  Since this is an immune system disorder, will it slow down or delay antibody production?

2. Will the topical corticosteriod, Elocon cream, affect antibody production?

3. Can I take any heart from my negative test at 10 weeks?  (I'm scared to death!)

4. What is your opinion on retesting in my case?

Thanks you for your time.  I'm really nervous, losing sleep, etc. and am trying to understand how concerned I really should be.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
As I have said innumerable times on this forum, symptoms NEVER reliably indicate HIV in someone at low risk (i.e., everyone exposed heterosexually, unless the partner is known to have HIV).  That's NEVER.  Second, aside from advanced cancer (near death), or life-threatening kinds of chemotherapy, no illness or medication is known to have any effect whatsoever on reliability of HIV testing.

The answers to your questions are:  1,2) The psoriasis and typical steroid make no difference.  3,4) Your 10 week negative test PROVES you do not have HIV.  You don't need to be retested at 6 months.  (See other threads on "time to positive HIV test").

You have no cause to be so nervous.  Relax, you don't have it.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
I'm not saying this to bother you, but it sounds as if the man you had relations with went to get blood work done, but the words he gave you regarding results are the words used to describe blood test results for standard blood testing (white blood cell count, liver function, etc.). With a 10 week negative you are really going to be fine, but you might want to ask him if he was specifically tested for HIV (he might not undertstand HIV testing) because it sounds like he just had standard blood work done which does not include HIV testing.

Like I said, the doctor on this board generally would tell you that a negative result after 6 weeks in a situation like yours is all you need. You're negative. Congratulations!
Helpful - 0
You had a negative test, and your psoriasis and/or any meds you are on for it will not delay antibody production.  If the guy was positive (which is not likely in any event) he would have told you.  Why would he not?  Sounds like he was more than willing to cooperate with your request.  

Your other symptoms could be a thousand other things, all of them more likely BY FAR than HIV.  You do not have HIV.
Helpful - 0
you are fine...Im fine!!!!!!!!  Take the 10 weeks and run with it!  I'm scared just like you, but we are ok!  Go on a walk and clear your head...dont go to any other web sites, only this one!!!!  The other sites will scare the hell out of you because they all have their own opinions!
Helpful - 0
I am definitely stressed.  I've hardly eaten the last two days.  It's just hard to believe your OK when there seems to be so much confusion over the window period.  With the psoriasis being considered an autoimmune disease this scares me more.  I appreciate your comments.  Just knowing someone else is out there helps some.
Helpful - 0
Anyone have any thoughts on my post???
Helpful - 0
Listen to Austin526, that was great advice. Trust me, I know. Researching too much can make you paranoid and put you under unnecessary stress.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.