A
Close

PCR Testing and Immunization effects

Dr. HHH.  Thanks so much for the information you provide on your forum.  I
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your symptoms came on too soon to be due to HIV.  To my knowledge its rarely if ever as soon as 5 days, and anyway your symptoms are typical of a hundred different things all more common than HIV.  And as you understand intellectually if not emotionally, your exposure was low risk.

But to your direct question, immunizations are not known to delay seroconversion or to have any effect on the reliability any HIV tests, including both PCR and antibody tests.  You're home free.  From a medical or risk assessment perspective, you don't really need another test at 6 weeks.  But my guess is that you'll want to do it for the additional reassuance.  You can count on a negative result.

Good luck--  HHH, MD

Helpful - 0
Thanks for your quick response.  The intellectual/emotional battle is a theme I think most people on this forum might debate.  I knew I was in a low risk enviroment, but still was shocked I started feeling bad, loosing weight(forgot to mention above that I lost six lbs in a week and a half.) and generally was positive I was HIV positive.  It's amazing how professional opinions can make you feel instantly better.  Keep up the great work.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.