Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Unprotected sex wth sex worker in China

In my drunken state I had unprotected sex for about 5 minutes with a female sex worker at a Karaoke Bar in China, of which I did ejeculate inside her.

As soon as I woke up the following morning, I'd realised I placed a gun against my head. I have not done such a thing before as I am happily married. On waking up I remember the sex worker to have a constant slight cough, after reading all the forums this is worrying me. I have not yet done any HIV or STI test as it has only been 10 days, as soon as it has been 4 weeks I will take the test. I have read most of the posting and it has made me less stressed but I cannot sleep, eat or work properly on arriving back in the UK. I can not seem to forgive myself, when I sit down by myself I just cannot stop thinking that I could be HIV positive and my life is over.

I have not told anyone this and I have not had sex with my wife since the incident. Will it be be safe to have protected sex with my wife now?

I also have no bodily symptons except an aching back.

1) If I test negative after the 4 week test, when will it be safe to have unprotected sex.

2)How many test should I have?

3) I know the probabilty can be  1/1000 but .....

4) How many recorded incidents of people been found positive after 6 weeks?

5) Should I take the test now?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Read the forum for many threads that address the same question you ask.  Search for "time to positive HIV test", "HIV transmission risk", and "vaginal sex".  The odds are your partner wasn't infected, and the chance you were infected, even if she had HIV, was low.

Just calculate the odds and you should sleep easy.  Chance your partner was infected, say 10%.  Chance you were infected if she has HIV, 1 in 1000 tops (probably closer to 1 in 2000).  Chance of having HIV despite a negative test at 4 weeks, probably 5%.  That makes your odds of having HIV 0.1 x 0. 001 x 0.05 = 0.0000005.  That's 5 in a million, or 1 in 200,000.  And that, my friend, is 8 times lower than the chance you will die of a lightning strike someday.  So put things in perspective.

1) Right now.  2) No more tests are necessary, but if it will make you sleep better, have another one 6-8 weeks after the event.  3) But what?  4) None that I know of, with current test methods.  5) Your choice.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 1
if youve even ust skimmed the arcive you will see that a test 4-6 weeks puts the odds in lotto range.  6-8 weeks is devinitive.
Helpful - 0
From personel experienece in UK with GUM clinics...they would not give me a definitive answer until the three months period...also my own doctor said the same. They will test you if you request I think...my doctor wouldnt until three months was up.

Helpful - 0
After looking at more post, the likelyhood of catching HIV from uprotected sex with a person of who is HIV is 1-2000. That  is quite low and you must be pretty unlikely to catch it.
My anxiety and stress is beginning to dissappear, don't get me wrong, what I did was thee most suicidal thing I've done in my life, but this forum has aided me to see things more clearly, without this forum I've would've, lets say gone to hell.
Ok my mind still wonders a bit from time to time,as HIV is HIV, I am coming to terms that I am more likely not to have contracted the virus and wonder if I really require a test at all, the fact is I could never come to terms if I infect my wife even if the odds is 1-2000.
I now have a cough, phlem, a gam-me mouth, times when I think my temp has risen, sore muscle ach, itchy skin but this is winter time, I keep reminding myself its the flu and cold season.

Am I trying to live a life of denial or am I being realistic?, answer on a postcode please

1) What is a realistic date to have the test? 2-3-4-5-6 weeks to ber 95 %?

2) What test at 4 weeks will provide the most accurate results?

This experience will change my view in life forever.
I thank everyone who contributed to this site.

Last but not least, I feel sorry for sex workers who have to put there lives at risk everyday....
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Take the personal stories that don't involve the original question or questioner over to the HIV Support forum.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Most people seroconvert at 26 days, so a 4 week test is conclusive.  As for your actual risk, there is 1 in 2000 chance you would have contracted hiv through a one time exposure from women to man.  Usually, the heterosexuals who do contract it through sex, have repeated sex with someone who is (known to be) infected.  The odds are in your favor.  Is it safe to have sex with your wife now?  Only you can decide that.  Would she be suspicious if you wore a condom?  After your 4 week negative test, you can absolutely resume sex with your wife.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your reply, its makes it reassuring. Its just I have not discussed this with anyone and its comforting to let it out.
We use condoms to prevent prenancy anyhow, but we have just began thinking about starting a family, this is my main concern.
I realise now that a 4 week test is virtually conclusive but as with with most web site saying 3 months, it does put doubt in your mind.
Does a test at 4 weks differ from one that is 6 weeks?
DO GUM clincs force you have test up to 3 months, as I would like to believe 4 weeks is suffient, the more test, the more doubt..
If I come back negative after 4 weeks, that is what I believe I am to put my mind at rest...
Helpful - 0
Not to be overly pedantic, but as a fellow worrier I know the importance of getting clear information: that's 1 in 2000 chance IF your partner was infected. Otherwise it's 1/2000 multiplied by the probability your partner was infected. Regards.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.