Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hiv seroconversion illness and wbc count

Hi and thanks for trying to look at my case.

I went to an asian massage parlour in the first week of January this year, where I had a risky exposure.
The next day onwards I had constant burps expecially after meals. After seven days, I began having chills(no rigors though) very often, but no fever. I also had exactly two chicken-pox-like boils on my arm and abdomen. Boils appeared on my scalp which my doc dismissed with a 2.5% selenium sulphide shampoo. The boils on my body went away (with scar tissue) after few days but continues on my scalp.

After two weeks post exposure, I had severe acid reflux, nausea and gas and rumbling in my stomach and pain in my abdomen, along with fatigue. But still no diarrhoea. Then one evening I had muscle ache, malaise and a fever for one night for 100F and a itchy throat. The fever never came back but my throat is hoarse though not sore. But no diarrhoea, no headache, no rash, no sweats, no vomiting,no photophobia. But I lost about 5 pounds in a week.

I respect my doctor but he is not an HIV expert. He gave me Nexium for acidreflux. HIV antibody tests were -ve at 2 different labs. Acid reflux and burping after meals still present. And fatigue continues with hoarse throat. Doctor says I am having a random viral infection in the flu season.
My bloodwork says 4900 wbc/cc. Doc says that even if I had hiv seroconversion illness going on, my wbc count would rise up. I am not so sure if this is true. (i can post the full bloodwork details in a comment later if you permit)
My questions:
=============
--is a "normal" wbc count consistent with HIV seroconversion illness ?
--could my stomach/eosophagus problems a manifestation of CMV/HSV/HIV causing gastritis and eosophagitis?
--what is the HIV confirmatory test before 28 days post exposure?

Please please help,

thanks,
k1978.

p.s. my risky exposure was that I performed oral sex on the woman at the massage parlour and i definitely felt her fluids in my mouth.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
"My exposure was was exactly what i described. I have nothing to hide. Never did drugs or participated in unprotected penetrative sex."

I knew that and wasn't suggesting that you did.  I only was emphasizing that you could not have acquired HIV by the exposure you describe.  Your follow-up HIV test will be negative.
Helpful - 0
Thank you to all for your patience for answering questions. You are doing a huge service to society.

Doc: I will test myself again in a few weeks time. I still have malaise symptoms and might have some slight swollen glands in the neck.
My exposure was was exactly what i described. I have nothing to hide. Never did drugs or participated in unprotected penetrative sex.

Thanks again,
k1978.
Helpful - 0
The doctor has always said this is an absolute zero risk exposure and I doubt there is any reliable evidence of anyone being exposed this way.
Helpful - 0
but CDC says there is a risk with cunnilingus and my symptoms are coinciding with the 2 wk post exposure period. And my contact was with a high risk person.

thanks,
k1978
Helpful - 0
Have a look at the following thread...

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/HIVSupport/messages/56.html

It gives detailed discussion of the risk of HIV and other STD transmissions during cunnilingus. It should put your mind at least a little bit at ease.
Helpful - 0
That is a zero risk exposure, you do not have HIV.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Cunnilingus is zero risk for HIV transmission, or close to it; at least no such transmission has ever been documented.  Your symptoms do not suggest HIV or the other conditions you mention (not even a hint!), and in any case HIV or CMV symptoms cannot start in less than 7-10 days after being infected. On top of that, the odds are very high that your partner doesn't have HIV anyway.  I disagree with your doc about your WBC count, which doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

Because of your obvious anxiety, you should have an HIV test a few weeks after your non-exposure event.  But you can count on a negative result. (In fact, if it were to be positive, my first approach to counseling you would be to look you in the eye and ask you to tell me about your other HIV risks.  Because there is no way you caught it during the cunnilingus exposure you describe.)

Mellow out. You don't have HIV.  Good luck--

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.