Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Risk & Testing

Hi Dr. I'm a hetero male who had an encounter 37 days ago with a female UK sexworker. This involved unprotected oral given and received (small ulcer apparent on my tongue tip at the time) Unprotected vaginal of approx 2-3 mins, & uncovered penis to anus rubbing plus slight momentary penetration. Symptoms of sore throat & mild temp increase 10 days after for approx 7 days, discomfort in armpits, neck, groin, limbs & body generally which continues now.
I've tested using rapid finger ***** tests at 30 & 37 days, both neg. Do I need further testing?
Thanks for your time.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i forgot to mention that i had a scratch on my behind and some of his fluid might have came into contact with it...someone help, please?  
Helpful - 0
in the question above, detailing the unprotected penis to anus contact/penetration the doctor stated there was little to no risk for the male involved in the question...what about the female? Could the female have contracted HIV from the male if he had it?  (obviously, im asking because it pertains to me)  Im not particularly worried, just curious what the risk is of unprotected penis to anus contact with ejaculate present? have there been cases of HIV being contracted this way?
Helpful - 0
Hi everyone. The doc replied that "the exposure was so low risk..." This is very assuring. But can anyone please explain why this is so...
Thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
HIV transmission risks, and why such exposures are low risk, has been discussed innumerable times on this forum.  Read the threads and archives.  If you and others want to carry on a dialog about it, please take it over to the HIV Support forum.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks Dr, I guess I'm a little paranoid due to: a) the lack of concern for using protection on the part of the woman involved, considering her employment(& my own stupidity.) And: b) I've been feeling generally unwell in a viral kind of way through the possible window period, though I take your point regarding symptoms.

I accept your advice regarding testing as I'm confident of my description of risk and finish by saying many thanks, it's been a good deal of help and reassurance.

No22
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your exposure was so low risk that you really didn't need testing at all.  Had you tested positive, or if you test again and it is positive, my first tack in counseling you about the result would be to look you in the eye and ask about your actual risks--because you didn't get it during the exposure you describe.

As I have said innumerable times, symptoms never are a reliable indicator for (or against) new HIV infection in low risk situations like this.  Many other things, all more common than HIV, can cause identical symtpoms.  Anyway, you don't need further testing, in my opinion.

I hope this helps.   HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.