Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Crossover in testing- clarification please

Hello Doctor,

I've trawled the archives but can't find anything that matches this so thought it would be educational.
I am in a monogamous gay relationship, both tested last year. However, on 6th Nov I gave (and received) oral sex to another guy I didn't know. Problem was I had mouth ulcer in my lower mouth at the time.
I had Chlamydia and gonnoreha tests at 14 days and an HIV DUO test at 30 days. On Sat (11.5 weeks) I had another rapid HIV test.Came back negative.

My partner has also since had a sexual screening, came back negative. However, as part of my full screening on Monday (12 weeks to the day since the incident) I diagnosed with NonSpecificUrethritus. They also told me to wait 14 weeks so to repeat the test.

I'm  worried. My partner has developed a sore throat and a rash on his leg (my mind is racing).

My questions are:
1) I don't understand why nothing came up as NSU on either of our scans previously (I'm confident we have both been faithful since). We did have sex the night before my screening- would that cause any distortion of results?
2) Are screening tests such as Chlamydia and HIV standalone or could they overlap? ie Do I have cause for concern that this infection has come from nowhere could be indicative of HIV after all?
3) Can I relax or should I worry (especially about my partner, with whom I have maintained a sexual relationship with recently). Getmy results on Tuesday.

Thanks so much for your help
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The route by which one catches HIV has no effect on the window period.
Helpful - 0
Dr,
Thanks for responding so promptly to my question.
I know that your responses answer specific questions but I believe this is overlap between my question and the one above it about oral ulcers.
I understand there is no available data about HIV through oral ulcers but that it is a higher risk. How does that affect my 11 week test? Using your risk calculations, does that mean (given a wound in my mouth at the time of giving oral sex) that 11 weeks is conclusive? Or nit?
Apologies- my results are tomorrow and I'm trying to think as logically as I can.
Many, many thanks.
Helpful - 0
Just wanted to clarify as i may have got the wrong end of the stick here.

Did the health provider suggest a 14 week test after the oral incident or did he/she mean 14 weeks after your 11.5 week result?

If he/she meant 14 weeks after the oral incident ignore my original post.

Good Luck Dorff!
Helpful - 0
Hi uk

The person telling you to wait another 14 weeks to test again, this is what really annoys me and what causes so much confusion over the window period.

Like yourself i had an unprotected Oral encounter with a stranger who was male, though there was no ejaculation and i am still worried even after having 4 Anitgen and Antibody test's out to 16 weeks (think its called a duo) all Neg. These were all taken at UK GUM Clinic.

I have has symptoms such as swollen glands since October 2006.

After my 12 week i was fine for about a month but now i have started worrying (hence the 16 week test) about this 6 month window period.

The fact of the matter is how can people rely on a 3 month test when so called providers tell them to test out to 6 months there seems to be no continuity therefore leading to excessive anxiety and stress.

At the moment i will not have sex with my partner through fear and waiting to test at 6 months.

I want to make it clear i have not been told to test out to 6 months by anyone, however when you read what professionals have said to people in similar circumstances it places doubt in your mind.

UK - I hope everything turns out well for you, sending you my best wishes through cyberspace.

Dorff

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I have nothing to do with the HIV Support forum.  If it isn't working, I suggest you use the contact link to ask Med Help administration.
Helpful - 0
Why is the Hiv Support Forum not working?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You can rely on the 11 week test result.   Your provider is being extra conservative in recommending another test at 14 weeks, but you can be sure the result will be negative.

Nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) (often called nonspecific urethritis in the UK, NSU) can be acquired from oral sex even with regular, monogamous partners--probably due to bacteria that are normal in the mouth but cause inflammation in the urethra.  In other words, there is no particular reason to suspect the NGU came from your November 6 exposure.

1) Standard STD testing doesn't check for asymptomatic NGU; it gets diagnosed only if someone gets symptoms like discharge.  2) NGU definitely is not a sign of HIV.  3) Relax.  Follow your provider's advice about NGU treatment.  If not certain about your own provider's knowledge in this area, visit one of UK's excellent genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinics for expert evaluation and advice.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.