Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

indeterminate test results

I am a 24 yrs old heterosexual male. About 5 weeks ago I experienced a burring sensation in my urine after having non protective sex with a woman who now I am dating. I went to a walk in clinic and they prescribed me bacterium. After 1 week of that not working and a pain in my left side of my groin the clinic decided to do a whole STD test. Even a culture test for gonorrhea oh what fun!!(this was 14 days after the non protective sex)...6 days later I get my results back and I get a indeterminate test results HIV on p24 and p40. The doctor asks me my sexual history in the past 6 months and I tell them that the only person I was with was heterosexual sex with a college student that I am dating that had a STD check back in august and was negative for everything.(she says has only been with me since then) That day after telling me I don't have a lot to worry about he tells me we can do a antigen p24 test and viral load test just to make me feel a bit better. Both of these test with a standard blood test came back normal or negative. He reassured me again not to worry and to get another test in 4-6 weeks. I am an extremely high strung person and have been feeling a bit on the low side, along with a bit of sore throat and my tongue has been slightly sore. No fever or rash that I have seen on the Internet that goes along with a new infection. I don't know if these are factors of being extremely stressed about all this or a early HIV infection. What is your thoughts on the results of the negative p24 and viral load test based on my case.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I agree 100% with the advice you were given by your doctor.  You had a low risk exposure (HIV in outwardly healthy college students is extremely rare). You didn't need HIV testing at all, but once you had the indeterminate results, exactly the right follow-up testing was done.  You can rely 100% on those results; negative p24 and viral load test prove you don't have HIV.  Having yet another test in a few weeks is a conservative approach, but you should do it to help deal with your anxiety.  You can expect a negative result.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks Doc for working on the weekends, I NEEDED THAT. For all of you who are going through the same experience The mind plays some serious tricks on you. I will sleep tonight and probley feel much better tomorrow!!...Thanks again!!!
Helpful - 0
Wow! I cant believe what happened. I just called the lab and they told me that the screening test was never ordered by the walkin clinic and only ordered a western blot. After looking at my other test she told me sweetie you are HIV -. What a 5 week nightmare I have experienced, I think I need a therapist after all of this. Doc why arent these walk in clinics giving any instruction in doing these test? Thanks a million!!!!!!! I feel great!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.