Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HIV Symptoms, Negative Rapid Test taken in Switzerland, late serocovnerter?

Dear Great Doctor Handsfield,

I was getting oral sex from a man who just finished blowing someone else. It didn't last more than 10 seconds, but I am afriad there might have been sperm or precum in his mouth from the last perosn. However, two weeks later, I developed a rash which started on my left cheek, with extremely small blisters, which I opened up when I accidentally shaved over them. It then swelled, and my skin became hard and thickened. Then, a few days later, the rash spread to my ear lobes, right cheek, and forehead, and eventually to my neck, all which went away in about 1.5 weeks. I went to the doctor three times, they couldn't tell what it was. They said it could be a viral or contact dermatitis. There also was no fever present, and I always felt fine, despite a few headaches.  

I took an Abbott Determine Rapid Test at 6 weeks, 11 weeks, and 15 weeks, all negative. I know this test is widely used all over Europe, but not in the US, where Oraquick is the preferred rapid test. The doctor told me this test is probably the best rapid test available, but why is it not FDA approved then? I don't want to test again, but there is this huge grey cloud hanging over me. Could it be possible that I am a late seroconverter (I don't do drugs, smoke, drink at all). And if my rash was due to ARS, doesn't it mean that antibodies were developing already, and I would have tested positive. Also, is it possible that the Rapid Test detects antibodies much later than laboratory based tests?
Please give me a detailed answer DOC.....I love you very much.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
How do I know you don't have HIV?  Let me count the ways.  1) The exposure you describe was too low to measure, regardless of what your partner had in his mouth.  2) Symptoms never are a reliable indicator of new HIV infection.  3) Your symptoms don't sound like HIV.  4) You have had several negative tests, and test results ALWAYS outweigh symptoms or other suspicion of infection.  With modern HIV antibody tests, there is no such thing, for practical purposes, of false negative results after 6 weeks or so, and certianly not after 11-12 weeks.  Negative rapid tests are just as reliable as laboratory-based tests.

That's as detailed as I'm going to get. There is no point in posting any further 'yes but' or 'what if' follow-up questions or comments.  There is no information you could provide that would change my opinion.  You don't have HIV.  See a provider about that rash and move on.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 1
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I told you this thread is over.  Take your anxiety-driven questions to the HIV Support forum.
Helpful - 0
There are over 30 hiv tests available in the market. I guess only 30% of them has the FDA approval. It does not mean anithing. As an example, the ABBOTT AXSYM MEIA technology is not among the approved ones. The MEIA technology in theory is more sensitive than the regular ELISA (M stands for microparticles  and it is in reality just another EIA). The MEIA test is used in many places in Europe, S. America, and it is among the most used in Canada and Australia (also ASIA).
This test simply has not been available in the USA.
Helpful - 0
as far as i know, there is no HIV test that is FDA approved. Even the Elisa and the WB are not. You're Negative, stop stressing about it and move on ;-)...
Helpful - 0
It's clear that your rash wasn't from HIV; if it was you would've tested positive. Anyway, insertive oral sex is not a good way of transmition. It's obvious you don't have HIV.
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
I really don't know, but from a common-sense point of view, do you really think they'd use unreliable tests in other countries? Man, no wonder everyone hates Americans, lol.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
And just what makes you think a rash on the face has anything to do with HIV????  That's crazy; there are hundreds of causes of rash, HIV being among hte rarest--and it doesn't cause a rash on the face within a couple weeks of infection.

The Abbott Determine is an excellent test, which I use in my HIV research in Zimbabwe.  I don't know why it doesn't have regulatory approval in the US; probably has to do with marketing decisions, not test reliability.  The scientific standards in European and other countries are just as stringent as in the US.  (But justanotherone is wrong; FDA approval is required for all diagnostic tests in the US.  Well, technically only those for which the test materials are shipped across state lines.)

Babyming, read my original reply, accept the reassurance, and just move on.  If you cannot, ask your provider to consider referral to a mental health professional to figure out why you cannot do so despite overwhelming evidence you are not infected.

No follow-up messages, please.  This thread is over.  Those who want to continue can take it to the HIV Support forum.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thank you Doctor, I am just wondering if the Abbott Determine Rapid Test is a reliable test...since it is not FDA approved and not used in the United States...but widely in Europe and Asia....this is my final question.
Helpful - 0
But my point is what makes a test FDA approved and not approved. Is the Abbott Determine Rapid Test not good enough to be FDA approved? Did they even attempt to apply for an approval in the US? I just can't accept it as a coincidence that I got a rash on my face two weeks after my risk. I can't.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.