Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnant did HIV test Help!!!

I found out I am pregnant with my 2nd child. The doctor did an HIV test. I guess I never had one with my first child who is 14 months old. I thought I did. I am freaking out. I am a healthcare worker and she said since I do come in contact with blood it was a good idea. I am always careful and wear gloves. I have only been with my husband for the past 5 years. We are very faithful to one another. I guess my concern is what if one of our past realtionships could have caused us to get HIV. We have no symptoms. My question is if one of the people from our past was infected would we be having symptoms by now? I am sooooo scared waiting for the results. As far as I know none of the people from our past are infected. Thankyou!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Having an HIV test is recommended by all health experts and the CDC for every pregnant woman.  That recommendation is fairly new, so it is no surprise it wasn't done during your previous pregnancy.  But now HIV testing of pregnant women is normal, expected, and nearly universal--just as are syphilis testing and chlamydia testing (which probably were done in your previous pregnancy).  The HIV test has nothing to do with whether or nor you believe you were at risk, or whether your doctor believes you are at risk.  Every pregnant woman should be tested and most are.

In case you want to see the latest formal CDC recommendations, see  http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5514a1.htm  (Note the writers.)

In other words, you and your pregnancy are being managed perfectly normally.  Your ObG is being conscientious and caring.  All will be well.

Best wishes for you, your family, and your new baby.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Should I worry about the people me and my husband where with 5 years ago, or would we have some sort of symptoms.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If your and your husband's previous partners were non-gay and not injection drug users, and not immigrants from countries with high HIV rates, you were not at risk.

Most HIV infected people start to have various symptoms within 5 years of catching HIV, so that is further evidence you don't have it.

Just wait for your test result, which will be negative.  I won't have any further responses.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.