Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Drug eluding stents

My drug eluding stent occluded after <3 years-on plavix for 8 mths after stent along with asa,con't asa 325-lesion in the LAD-my sx have been vague for the last 6 months with mostly gi-when they cathed me my stent was 90% occluded above it and within the stent and below it-a new stent was placed thru the old one for most of the LAD-my concern now is if this stent occludes especially acutely I would loose most of my left ventricle if I survived-I am very compliant,take my meds religiously,exercise,eat well,my only change would be to change jobs to reduce stress,I am an ER nurse, which I am working on. With all the new info out about stents, would I be safer to consider bypass surgery as an option ? My septal branch is also severely stenosised with minimal flow ? I am not nuts about surgery, but I also don"t want to die.
thanks
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,

Sorry you are having a rough time.  Drug eluting stents are going to be a long term issue for alot of people--I understand how you feel, I have 1 in my RCA.  Plavix & Aspirin are very, very important.  What does your cardiologist have you on for lipid control?  Controlling lipids is vitally important--some statins are better than others, depending on the individual.

Now the ACC is coming out with new recomendations regarding stent placements and medical therapy....they're recognizing the long term issue of stents.

I'd talk to your cardiologist or get to a larger center to have an evaluation.  The LAD is a troubling vessel indeed and I think you are doing the right thing and asking questions.

Bypass may offer more long term benefits, but some grafts don't last forever and are subject to occlusion well.  My grandmother had 20 years on one set but was very conscious of taking her statins and other meds, + diet.

If there are enough occlusions and they are diffuse, I'd heavily look at bypass.  Just my opinion though.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Thank-you for your understanding. They did increase my statin drug but since they have done that I have had alot of back pain and cut back to my initial dose and my back is better. I see my doc on Friday and hope he listens. I am exercising vigorously and have read the lastest South Beach Diet Heart Book and don't  know what else I can do. The only other aspect I can't get a handle on is sleeping, I do have a sleeping aid  but my employer only allows  15 pills a month to be dispensed according to their standards, so about three nights a week  I sleep a solid 6 hours, other than that I sleep intermittingly for total of about 4 hours. I know that is not healthy but have tried all the natural remedies and it is not meant to be. I am 55 years old and work an an ER nurse and am not ready to throw in the towel  yet.
thank you for listening
Helpful - 0
Hi,

Definitely frustrating...no one wants to throw in the towel that's for shure.  There's only so much diet and exercise can do--you docs should be testing you regularly for rhabdomylosis w/statins.  A hot combo for lipids is Zetia & Crestor.  I have had luck in the regression of some plaques (5 caths observed over a 1.5 year period).  Triglycerides are important too.

Sleeping--ah, that's what some people can do.  I have a bit of an insomniac issue going on.  That's too bad that your formulary isn't too helpful.  I would think your doc would be able to prescribe a daily med that's in the formulary.

I think the South Beach diet is decent.  I pretty much follow a South Beach/Med diet and watch for bad stuff.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community

Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1707018272
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.