Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

New Dose of Riba-RibaPack

My doctor gave me a new prescription for Riba. it's call RibaPack.
I am usually taking 2 in the morning and 3 in the evening but with a new medication I have to take 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening.
does anybody taking this pills?
illona
32 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If it works for you, it works. But if you start harvesting mushrooms for your salads off your body, maybe time to stop.

Seriously, this is just something I read on a few sites, it's quite possible olive oil is OK, but given my skin problems, I decided to avoid it for now.

Be well.

Jim
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
had no idea on the olive oil cautions, thanks for the head's up, if anything,it's nice to know that works great for my skin, maybe that means I'm healthy? ha ha...hope you have a great weekend, and hearty congrats!!!!
Helpful - 0
paragraph 3 in part should read: ...."some people for reasons not completly understood, CANNOT co-exist with the fungus..." and not read "...coexist with the fungus.."

paragraph 4 should read: ..."the malgassezia fungus thrives on OLIVE oil..." and not read "...thrives on oil oil..."

------------

Helpful - 0
I believe Egyptian Magic contains Olive Oil?

When researching out my own skin problems (Seborrhoeic Dermatitis among others) I came across several cautions against using Olive oil on the skin, unless it's used to loosen scales and then washed off right after.

Some skin conditions, like seb dermatitis, are caused by a sensitivity to the malgassezia fungus that lives on everyone's skin. However, some people for reasons not completely understood, can co-exist with the fungus and therefore have skin problems. This is especially true with immune suppresed folks -- like those on treatment or post treatment.

According to some sources, the malgassezia fungus thrives on oil oil and therefore may be contradicted for those on treatment or just off treatment.

From one source:

" The scalp should be washed regularly and this, along with soft brushing, should help to remove the scales. Some people advocate the use of a baby oil or mineral oil (but not olive oil as this encourages proliferation of malassezia)."

Full text here but note while the article is about "cradle cap" that only effects infants, the same malassezia fungus causes seb dermatitis in adults.
http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-c38dd24c-0a6a-4593-b443-2d069309ee23.aspx

This in no way disparages the product mentioned -- sure it's just fine for normally healthy folks --  just throwing up a caution for folks on treatment or coming off of treatment. Like anything else one could research this further, but I thought I'd give a heads up as I started to use Olive Oil on my face as well, until I read the article.

More on Malassezia:
http://dermnetnz.org/fungal/malassezia.html

-- Jim
Helpful - 0
92903 tn?1309904711
<i>...had an excellent red snapper today...</i>

Do tell. What's its normal color? <small>sorry, I'm out of sorts tonight</small>
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
I feel you now need an all-over facial with Eygyptian Magic...It's really a must for all you post tx'ers, to detox and clarify the skin...

You slather it all over the body...then you lie in state for a good 3 days to really let it saturate....make sure you have a good supply of Depends on hand - they really come in handy for those "Holidays from Hygiene" which can occur in taking an all over facial...

(and please, something a little more edifying than "Merkin Quarterly" for some light reading material) I'm presently trying to sell Jimbo on the idea, but he's busy with his "Sun God" festivities...
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
forgot, those adrenal supplements, I just don't know cause I never tried them...I just try to stay calm and rest when I can, and eat a lot of veggies, fruits, fish, etc...had an excellent red snapper today...hope youre well...
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
ha, ha! no, I hate anything dry! This stuff is so weird, I look all over the label, and it's just says it's made by Egyptian Magic, it's got a whole lot of crazyiness like...Lord Imhoptep Amon Ra - Pharoah of Egyptians...ha ha, these people might be nutz, but they make a good skin cream...

don't worry about your mood Ina, I'm a pretty good observer, at least I think, ha ha! And I see people on treatment, and their personality changes so much for the better once they are off the drugs... the longer it goes without the drugs, the better their mood....I see this over and over, it comes out in what they write...(IMHO) that's why I try not to take it to heart when I see people go off, etc (well, it's harder when they go off on me of course ha ha! but I try to be understanding)...I have no idea what it would be like to have those drugs alter your mood...but I do know depression...anyway, that's behind you, things are going to get better and better for you as time goes along, you deserve it and you'll have it...

Isn't it great about Goofman???
Helpful - 0
before I forget, which happens sometimes, er...what was I going to say?...oh yes! congratulations! it is coming close to closing that chaper for good, I would start closing the book about now.

sandi: how nice to see the fishies again! and, don't make me come to the midwest and drag your butt to the lab! before you do, show me how to do the fishies so I can post them when you tell us you are negative!
much luv! ;-} (could not resist)
Helpful - 0
That would make sense if the mixed two different doses in the same blister pack. The 400 pill would then be the morning dose and the 600mg pill, the evening. Still, I'd double check with pharmacy to make sure what the actual dose ordered is. BTW curious why you don't take the 400 in morning and 600 in evening. You'd probably sleep better that way.
Helpful - 0
Yeah, we get those, they are 400 mg each, hey I think its easier take less pills, same miligrams.
lilmoma
Helpful - 0
I would call the pharmacy before cashing the rx and confirm the actual dosage in each pill, as doctors and NP's do screw up more than we'd like.

I say this because you're now taking 2 in morning and 3 in evening, so unless the RibaPak formulates each of the two pills differently, to me your new regimen indicates a dosage change. This may be intentional or unintentional but I would check it out now, even though I'm pretty sure it's OK.
Helpful - 0
If lil' Moma is correct, then it appears your doctor has reduced your dosage from 1000 mg/day of riba to 800 mg/day of riba. Is this something he discussed with you? As stated, riba is riba and 800 mg is not 1000 mg, unless I'm missing something here.
Helpful - 0
92903 tn?1309904711
FL:<i>depending on what it is could be very helpful to those of us who have a tough time keeping track of what they swallowed</i>

Hey dude, just don't injest foreign slimies from the floor and you should be alright.

NY:<i>It's the darn "twice a day" that gives me trouble sometimes you know? Thank God it's not more often then that!</i>

You're *sure* you're not married?
Helpful - 0
96938 tn?1189799858
Actually, I think there were making two doses other than 200.  The new ones could be 400 and 500 or 400 and 600.  Not sure now.
Helpful - 0
Sometimes my riba comes in a bottle, sometimes it comes in a blister pack, either way, they are blue pills (about the size of a multivitamin) and it says right on it 400. Also the blister pack is labeled AM Pills day 1 (and so on) and PM pills day 1 (and so on) so you dont forget where you are into the blister pack (brain fog ya know)
My hubby, since he is done with his shots now (last one #48 was on friday) he also was sent the blister pack. Before they always sent him the 200 mg  but they did put a little note in letting him know about the change.
lilmoma
Helpful - 0
96938 tn?1189799858
I think that I read in one of those VX-950 trial thinggys that it's dosed every 8 hours.  Riba is a little more shotgun like but it seems like with Vertex compliance is a little more strict.
Helpful - 0
131817 tn?1209529311
Does your Riba come in capsules? That I could handle, but those pills that come wrapped up so tight you can't get them open. Benedryl and Prilosec come in impossible to open packaging. I sometimes don't bother with it. In a Riba rage, I might try blowing the sucker up!  

EVERYONE
Don't forget to send your name to Hep C ambassadors to let the appropriations committee know we want them to spend, not cut, money for Hep C.  They Vote tomorrow.  It is easy and simple to add your name to those who support funding for Hep C.

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/IMPACTC/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=4011
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reminder about hepc ambassadors, I am on their mailing list, and they sent me a card to remind me, and I still forgot!!!
I am gonna go to the website right now.
lilmoma
Helpful - 0
from the Three Rivers Pharmaceutical site:

RIBASPHERE
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Hi, found your post and I'm haven't slept any so I'm still impaired, but here goes...for my face I get something really cheap from the health food store, comparitively speaking....it's called Egyptian Magic...

I got it cause someone told me it was good for burns, scratches, other skin flare-ups, zits, etc...so I just started using it for a night cream...It's got a lot of gobblety-gook copy on the label....that ancient mystics used it while they were conjuring up vestal virgins or whatever, blah, blah, blah...but I tell you, even though it's a bit greasy, it works for dry skin...and even though it's greasy, not much comes off on the pillow it's weird, it stays on your face, maybe the mystics keep it there, ha ha!

...it's olive oil, bee pollen (if youre allergic to bees prob wouldnt chance it, i'm not allergic) Royal Jelly, etc... usually Royal Jelly products are quite expensive, so this is really pretty good for the price...

For my body, I use Alba Very Emollient Body Lotion...it's really one of the best of tried, and i've tried many, many of them...you can get it scented or unscented...

You can by it at the health food store for like 15 bucks for 8oz, if you want to do that, go ahead that's a way to just try it, they might even have smaller bottles. If you do like it...forget the health food stores, get it off the internet at various places that sell it, one gallon (that will last you forever) for like 38 bucks...it's got all kinds of great stuff, safflower, aloe vera, green tea, chammomile, sesame, grape seed, cumcumber, sea kelp extract, lavender, Vit E, Lecithin, all kinds of good stuff...

Adrenals probs are notorious for not coming up on tests unless they are shot and you have some horrible adrenal disease...they just don't have good markers for them yet...even the endo guy told me that...so I just eat really well and rest when ever I can..if youre working, or doing something, rest after, you don't have to sleep, but rest, kinda like you've been on treatment...baby yourself...and don't flat out do something that whips up the adrenals for along time without stopping, that really taxes them...name of the game is to relax and do relaxing things when you can, which is pretty obvious I know...

da Sie eine Deutshe Frau sind, wissen Sie bereits, un warme Bader, dann Kalte Dushe zu nehman...lieben Sie zu ihnen und kummern Sie um selbst...
Helpful - 0
Thanks for that link. i've sent it out as well. hope you're doing okay today.   tracy
Helpful - 0
Thanks. And, yes, it's time to get your butt in gear and get tested :)

I did try Prevacid, and Aciphex, and Nexium and...

Nexium worked best for me, but I'm pretty much off PPI's at least for now. Still have to watch what I eat but things are a lot better. Thanks for thinking about me.

-- Jim
Helpful - 0
Still...you have to remember to pick up the pack twice a day...same thing as picking up the "bottle" twice a day.

It's the darn "twice a day" that gives me trouble sometimes you know?  Thank God it's not more often then that!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.