Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

2 year old vomiting at night

My daughter is two years old and this past Sunday she woke up vomiting. At the time we thought that most likely she had gotten into some bad food because her Father had picked her up a chicken tenders kids meal late that night when the place was about to close. Well she fell back to sleep that morning and when she woke back up she was fine. She was playing and running and laughing all day. She even rode a carousel! Well that night (Sunday)while she was sleeping she threw up again. She also threw up when she woke up that morning. When I say she's throwing up I'm not just talking about a small amount like spit up she is throwing up a lot. Well after she threw up that first time monday morning she was fine again all day and just as happy as could be. Again on monday night and Tuesday morning she threw up again.
I have been nursing my daughter every since she was born and I'm wondering if there is any way possible that somehow my milk is making her sick. She nurses a little during the day still but mostly at night because she sleeps in the same bed with me. She uses it to go back to sleep when she wakes up and to fall asleep in the first place. I don't think that it is the chicken anymore because it seems like that would keep her sick all day and not just at night. Thanks for any help you can give.
249 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Has anyone called the fire department to check for carbon monoxide poisoning?  A small amount would affect small children this way but an adult wouldn't feel anything.
Helpful - 1
Any answers my child is going threw the same thing the dr didnt do much checkin of him just wrote it off as the stomac bug but I know for a fact it is not it has been almost seven days my son is going down hill I have never seen his ribs before I cant sleep the Drs wont or are to incompetent to help any answers would help so I can sound like I have a clue instead of an irate parent I am concerned for his life children can not loose this much weight and not eat he has had the retroviruses and that was way different there is kind of a pattern loosing my mind cant sleep afraid hes gonna choke on his own vomit all these same symptoms and no drs help the parents whats the use of the dr if we go to them and have to ask others whats going on please help me the next dr that writes it off as a bug is gonna get hurt and hurt bad
Helpful - 0
Did this ever get resolved? My son's symptoms are identical.
Helpful - 0
2 Comments
Katie- whereabouts do you live? My daughter also has this?!
Hi, my son is almost 3 and is experiencing these symptoms for the second time first time was about a year ago I took him to Drs and kept getting told since he wasn't actively sick there wasn't much they could do so told me it could be acid reflux so I gave him a little shot of good ol pepto seems to do the trick after a couple days of a little shot of pepto before bed it stopped and didn't happen again for almost a year. Not a permanent solution but a couldn't hurt to try solution hope it helps you.
I'm really glad I'm not alone with all of this, last  Wednesday after bedtime my 2 1/2 year old son started vomiting I figured it was just a bug and took care of him and didn't think much of it, the next day he was fine I thought we were done with the problem and Thursday night no puke! Friday he was completely normal then nighttime came he fell asleep and woke up vomiting again we were up all night it was miserable for him I took him to the doctor on Saturday just to tell me "it's going around" and again Saturday night everything was good all day today he was completely normal now Sunday night we are back to puking all night and it's not a little puke I'm talking projectile vomiting and then horrible dry heaving all night! He has no symptoms other than bright green  diarrhea and the vomiting that seems to be set to clockwork every other night no fever he's not  lethargic he actually asks to eat and drink, I'm at my wits end with this I hate not knowing how to help my boy it's only been a week and I'm reading stories on here that have been going on for months :/ has anybody found a legitimate answer to this strange problem?
Helpful - 0
This just really touched me as I am going through the same thing with my little girl. It has been 30 days now and I have been back and forth to hospitals and doctors. It's a virus they tell me. I actually googled CVS on my own last night and it really does sound like this.

I am exhausted and so upset that my baby is going through this. I feel like a terrible mom for not being more aggressive and getting more opinions sooner.

Thank you for your post. I hope your babies are doing better.
Helpful - 0
I have 3 boys, twin 3yr olds & a 4 year old.  have been dealing with vomitting, diarreah, fevers and intense pain with my twins since they were about 3months. Here is
Our Story~
Another night of fever's BUT ️Dex & Finn's "puke monster" finally has a Name . CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome). As I lay next to them , both with fevers because I KNOW that what comes I Just wanted to share:
Another night of fever's BUT ️Dex & Finn's "puke monster" finally has a Name . CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome". I feel relief because as I lay next to them tonight both with fevers, I KNOW that what comes next is not in my head. I'm not making up their pain, screams or coma like states. One DR. Said that my lack of sleep could be be exaggerating their symptoms. Another said " your not washing their bottles properly"  Everyone came back with the same diagnosis..."it's a virus"
NO IT'S NOT! I never felt heard. I didn't talk much about it to others because I wanted to be a "good" mom. I didn't want to be judged. I didn't want another person to tell me what I was doing wrong. I didn't want another friend to tell me "pull up your big girl panties, this is motherhood". I retreated. Cried alone at night. The ER visits started & Then all the tests...Blood work, upper/lower GI's, colonoscopies, X-Rays and ultra sounds, always coming back clear. Once I walked out of a barium test with Finn and I heard a technician whisper...those poor boys. She's making them sick.
I FELT SICK. I felt guilty, helpless & hopeless all at once. I felt alone & I felt scared. Then finally when I didn't know how much more I could take, how much longer I could see them in pain...someone LISTENED to me. They HEARD me.Dex had the worst episode he's ever had, He vomited over 18 times in just a few hours...he started to seize. I didn't know what to do so I drove him 3 hours to the Children's Hospital. They said they COULDNT do anything except hydrate & stabilize him. That was not good enough! I checked both of them in every morning until the head of GI came to see us...FINALLY someone sat down and HEARD ME! They had  another procedure done & biopsies then Dr. Riley called me & I heard him say "you are not crazy". They have CVS. I was so relieved that someone heard me & that their "puke monster" had a name.Then it hit me this past weekend...There is NO cure! This really may rob them of their childhood.  I want to tell them they can run around, get excited, go to parties, eat whatever-wherever-whenever they want. I CANT! The best I can do is ❤️them. Make nights like tonight as comfortable for them as possible. Sing to them. Rub their little legs & pray that this "episode" will be shorter than the last. CVS is REAL & it HURTS! I want to make it better. I want to make them "normal". I want to take their pain away. What I don't want to do is keep this a secret anymore...CVS has been ruling out lives and I AM ANGRY tonight!!! But as I write this I am finding a little hope in knowing we are not alone anymore.
Helpful - 0
2 Comments
Wow that's powerful!!dont stop :)
Hi, this is terrible. I hope they are doing better. I'm just wondering if they have been ruled out as having celiac? There are 4 genes a person can have and even with 1, a person is very sensitive but often times dr.'s rule it out unless all 4 are prevent. Also, what type of probiotics did you have them on? I'm thinking with twins, you probably had a c-section?? Babies get all their good gut bacteria from mom, so being born c-section means they don't have the right, if any, good guy bacteria. I would look into these things if you have not. Mauch luck!!
13849151 tn?1431747876
Hello,
My little brother is nearly two years old and has been vomiting every night for five months now. Our Dr. we go to has done little to help up figure out the problem. I've been reading through the comments and am not sure what to do.
He will start coughing in his sleep, or awake during the day at times, and vomit. Other than than he'll be fine the entire day. He has regular bowel movements and eats just fine, but when he starts to coughing too hard he'll puke.
our Dr. thought it might be drainage from his sinus, but I don't think it would last 5 MONTHS. My poor folks are exhausted and at their wits end. HELP.
Helpful - 0
1 Comments
Did you every get an Answer to this as the exact same thing is happening to my daughter who is a year and a half and this has been happening on and off since she was one
Did you figure anything out with this?  Both of my children are going through must of what is being described here.  I'd like to hear someone was able to get a little help.
Helpful - 0
My son has been vomiting in the middle of the night too. I'm pretty freaked out since he often sleeps on his back. He doesn't wake up before, during, or after. It has been going on for about a week now, although there were three nights with no vomiting. This morning he seemed fatigued and a bit pale. After breakfast he was back to his normal self. He still has a decent appetite, although the past 2 days have been a bit less than normal. I plan on taking him to see his Dr. in the morning. I'll share what I learn if we get any answers. I appreciate all the comments, although scary, I'm glad most of the diagnosis were acid reflux or sinus issues.
Helpful - 0
3 Comments
Might be low sugar! Check into that
Did you ever get an answer?
This is an old post.  Are you having this issue with your kids.  I have a couple of thoughts.  I know that when my blood sugar is low in the morning when I get up, I am very nauseated.  I eat a bit and I feel better.  Also, when my son over eats or has fatty food such as hot dogs (he no longer eats these) or chicken wings, etc. . . .   he has vomited.  So, what about a light, healthy snack before bed?  I'd give that a try.
My 3year old son us going through the same. He even has the runny stomach, he refuses the food and sometimes he has a big belly, before even feeding him.
Helpful - 0
Oh my gosh, my 2 yr old daughter has been going through a similar situation described by many parents here: happy during the day, vomits at night but no fever and goes back to sleep just fine. I found this article and I think this will help most parents
http://drbenkim.com/often-overlooked-cause-vomiting.htm

I really hope it helps! I have yet to try it, but I think it will help.
Helpful - 0
Hello

My son is almost 5 and he is experiencing the exact symptoms you mentioned with the diarreah and vommiting, but being fine all day. I know your post was from a long time ago but I was wondering if you had any updates youy could share.

Thanks,

Luke
Helpful - 0
Hello supermommyme

My son is almost 5 and he is experiencing the exact symptoms you mentioned with the diarreah and vommiting, but then being fine all day.  I was wondering what you found out and how things are going for you now.  I know your post was from a long time ago, but never saw your update.

Thanks,

Luke
Helpful - 0
I'm 11 ive had this for about 7 weeks and I started pukeing in the day to. hope this helps and I don't have a fever either.
Helpful - 0
EVERYONE EVERYONE. Please google Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.... My daughter was just diagnosed with this and it goes undetected in my children because it mimics flu symptoms. My daughter was having cycles of waking up in the early morning hours and just randomly throwing up. She would do this for 5 days in a row. Have diarrhea for a week then go back to normal. then 3 weeks later it would start up again. She was perfectly fine during the day. All allergy and gluten tests came back normal. Took her to a GI doc and he diagnosed her with this... I had never heard of this but she fits all the symptoms... Hope this helps some of you!!!  
Helpful - 0
CYCLIC VOMITING SYNDROME!!! GOOGLE IT!
Helpful - 0
Google symptoms of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome!
Helpful - 0
My daughter was just diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Google it!!!
Helpful - 0
Mine does this as well. He's almost three but if he gets upset he will throw up. But most people that cry and scream  will do the same.  At night is my issue, he'll start a very slight cough then vomits everything back up. And I mean everything, then drinks a cup of milk and he's fine until the next bedtime. No fever, no pain, hasn't slowed him down any. His weight hasn't changed but it's difficult to tell since he's growing taller. Keep us posted about what you find out.
Helpful - 0
on what basis do consider my post spam it is a genuine post as i live in thailand
Helpful - 0
my son is 2 yrs old is still on bottle eats little solids but has 3 eggs with milk microwaved eats over the day. he has been trowing up for over 12months now when he cant get his own way and starts crying . and at night sometimes no fever, healthy otherwise he does have a cough now though we have been to the doctor we are going again on saturday only day child doctor is here . we live in thailand so investigative medicine seems to be non event have looked at simular problems and will talk to doctor but most know everything but know nothing hope someone can help with advice thanks
Helpful - 0
How did this stop?
Helpful - 0
2 year old throwing up at night and some mornings plays a lot but still throwing up dr keeps saying it the flue no fever has cough and running nose but just puks up not from coughing eather please any coments to help us get threw this thanks
Helpful - 0
My daughter , age 4, started having these issues about a 3 months ago.  We went through all the normal questions, medications, thoughts.  
She would only throw up at night, she doesn't take naps.  It seemed to me it would start happening about the time she started to doze off.  It took a couple of months and a few different doctors...it was decided that she has some kind of mild allergy but nothing showed up on the allergy test.  The doctor said the test checks for a LOT of the common allergies and she may be allergic to an uncommon one.  So when she lays down, her sinus drains and that causes her to throw up.  
They gave her an allergy medication and she has gone 2 weeks now without throwing up at night.  Thank goodness.  I hope this trend continues and I hope this helps someone else.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.