Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Borderline Personality Disorder

Perhaps I am thinking too much into this, but I have always been a bit weird you could say. I do have controlled obsessive compulsive tendencies and behaviours and a bit of intimacy issues (which I am working out currently). However,I recently read the book, "Girl, Interrupted" and began thinking how similiar I was to the main character.  She was diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder.  I read a bit of the generalizations and found many fit how I am or things I do.  I few exceptions as always, but I could relate to things she said while she was institutionalized at 18 and going through this.  She came to the conclusion that she was simply growing up rather than having a mental illness.  I am 22 years of age and I am wondering if it is normal to have many symptons of this without actually bordering on a personality disorder?  I am a bit of a hypercondriac as well so perhaps it is just that I am reading too much into this, but I often find myself in others with mental problems like Andy Kaufman and this character.  I can relate so I am worried that either 1. I am insane 2. I am to obsessive comulsive 3. I admire them because they are a bit weird like me 4. I use my imagination far too much 5. I may relate because I have certain mental issues such as them?  My question then is about my age and with that if this is normal to have such symptoms?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
tab
Do you have info on OCD, I need it for a report
Helpful - 0
I understand this, but I know that I have a social disorder/phobia although not quite agoraphobic.  I also know I am anal retensive and obsessive-compulsive.  The strange thing is I realize now after some serious self-awareness and exploration that I have all this.  However, I can control mine or so I think.  It doesn't affect me greatly for the worse.  I just realize I obsessively wash my hands and worry about germs, hence a straw in a soda can to drink it.  I know sometimes I do things 3 times just to "be certain."  I realize when I am in a mall I start finding myself restless and crowded and near paniac if I don't get breathing room.  This I know.  I am just worried about my imagination a bit because I tend to drift off into a fantasy world - although I know it is not realistic - I know this, but it doesn't prevent me from doing it.  The other day I was daydreaming as usual and my friend was telling me something important and I listened as far as sound but I guess I was carried away in my thoughts because I ran a traffic light and scared the **** out of her then was called "insane."  Also, yesterday I did the same with a stop sign.  I sometimes don't even realize I am daydreaming and see nothing but in some weird subconscious way I know what I am doing.  What is this?  I am very introverted and have few close relations.  I am very impersonal and keep things on this level.  I am uncertain how I would relate to close ties if they disappointed me or the whole "i like you, i hate you" prognosis.  Am I seriously thinking too much into this and it's normal, or am I in need of some serious therapy?

Merci,
G, I
Helpful - 0
You are obviously an aware person or you wouldn't be asking these important quesitons.  Why don't you see a therapist or psychiatrist for an evaluation?  I think it would give you some peace of mind to know what your diagnosis is and you would also then have additional support and help in controling your daydremaing and complusive behaviors.  Seeking help can be intimidating (I know, I've been there) but after the inital discofort the reward of getting help and feeling better is tremendous.  Therapy and medication have helped many, many people.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Girl,

You have several questions and concerns about personality issues.  Many people have traits of personality disorders without actually having social and occupational dysfunction.  If you feel that your personality/character is preventing you from having succesful social interactions then I suggest that you seek some professional mental health treatment.  Personality disorders are often not recognized by those who have them but they suffer with the distress and frustration that results.  Good luck.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords:  Personality disorder
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area