Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Bi-Polar, BPD, Depression....i'm confussed!

I am 32 years old and over the past 2 1/2 years I have been struggling with what I thought was Bipolar Disorder.  I was hospitalized for 2 weeks and started on medication along with ECT after being dx with Bipolar.  Over the past 2+ years, I have been in the hospital 6 times.  I am currently seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Last year my doctor told me I had BPD also.  Now, 2 months ago, he told me I only have BPD and never had Bipolar.  I have been on several different medications from Remeron, Prozac, Depakote, Zyprexa to Zoloft.  Now he wants to d/c my meds all together and go with counseling alone to treat depression.  I am in a panic that he is making the wrong decision.  I don't want to end up in the hospital again.  I have also been in BPD groups and intensive outpatient therapy.  I do come from a family with a history of Mental illness, so I believe this problem I have is more than just enviromental or behavioral.  What do you suggest?  This whole situation is putting a severe choke hold on my family and marriage.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am confuessed too.......One min I feel like doing something and the next I don't....I take Zoloft twice a day I have been on it for about a mounth now.......one min I am setting there and the next I am crying.....My boyfriend say that he has seen ther diference in me for some time now,,,,,in the last mounth it has got worse before I was takeing Zoloft I would not even get dressed in the morn,,,,,,I was going to collage but I quit.... I just can't seem to finsh anything that I start,,,,I use too.......now I feel helpless, How long will I feel this way?????? and way now..... I am 45 and my kids are all grown........
Helpful - 0
Beth, WOW you just dicribed me to a t. I used to be the same way, My husband said the same thing I was so cool sometimes and the next min. I was a crazy *****.He used to tell me he never wanted to come home after work because he was scared hoping I was in a good mood. I am 27 and the longest I have held a job is maybe a year. I also used to call in all  the time just had to wait and see what mood I was in before work, If it was bad then forget it. But if it was good I would go in and be the best worker there. It was hard for me to keep friends and after getting help it still is, I feel I never developed in that area. My husband was so upset because we would go out with friends and I would always have a problem with someone. Everyone would ask him the next day WOW what was wrong with Amy, He got tired of making up lies for me. It was like there was never a happy medium I was either pissed off and evil or happy and giddy. I had my son in 96 and my family talked me into getting help. For my son , Why should he have a mother like that. So I did and I am a diffrent person totally!!!!! At first I was told I had bi polar but later that was changed now they think adult add. Please e mail me I know what you are going through and I will listen and want to help you I am on paxil and wellbrutrin for  2 years now. It really worked e mail me at ***@****
Helpful - 0
Let me tell you about my sx....I am extremely moody.  I can go from being almost euphoric to a rage in just minutes.  I've noticed cycles in my mental stability with horrible depression starting around May or June.  My husband says he doesn't know what to expect when he comes home from work, if I am going to be his happy wife or his pissed off wife. When I do go into these rages, it's uncontrollable.  Almost as if I am on the outside watching myself go off the deep end.  It really scares me and my family.  I have had suicidal ideations at times and like I said in my previous letter, have been hospitalized several times and have been through ECT.  I have racing thoughts and unrealistic ideas.  I go through bouts of excessive spending, although i'm not sure whether it's when i'm depressed or manic.  Maybe both.  In the past year I got myself $13,000 in dept and have nothing to show for it.  I have a hard time keeping a job.  Not that I don't do it well.  I am a nurse and know what I am doing.  It's that I get bored with the everyday tasks and find myself not wanting to go into work, so I call off.  I have tried forcing myself to go in even when I really don't want to, but then I am miserable counting the hours until I can go home.  That is one behavior I desperately want to overcome.  As far as relationships go...I am on my third marriage.  I married my second husband twice (currently married to him).  He is very supportive of my illness.  I have maybe 3 friends that I associate with regularly.  Those friendships seem to be going well.  That's pretty much all I can think of right now.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Beth
Helpful - 0
Dear Beth

It is difficult to diagnose you with either Bipolar disorder or
Borderline personality disorder from the information that was provided. Before giving any specific diagnosis, a comprehensive evaluation in an office setting  is required. Because of this I am unable to comment on your discontinuation of medications.But if you are very much concerned about stopping medications, you can always request for a second opinion by a trained Mental Health professional.I would agree that having an intensive psychotherapy would be helpful for either of the conditions.
Good Luck to you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area