Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Avoidance Personality Disorder... Help.

I'm a 19 year old male. For starters, I had a happy childhood. The bad news is it's been downhill for the past 5 years. Despite my childhood being memorable and happy, looking back I can recall a few things that might relate. Ever since I can remember (4th grade), I've always had far greater anxiety than the average child in doing class presentations. I also scared easier than other children; in 5th grade on one occasion I called my parents in the middle of the night at a friends sleepover B-day party because I couldn't take the scary film they were watching. Still, up until 8th grade my life was normal and enjoyable. I was a happy, good looking kid who did what kids did - hung out and had fun.

9th grade is where it started to go wrong. For starters, I have always had a pigeon chest; because of this, I recall me being terribly insecure when taking swimming in P.E. In 9th grade, I developed acne. I slowly become more socially anxious. I established close friendships, but the anxiousness persisted. By 10th grade, acne was at its peak, and I withdrew from social life. I took refuge in the computer and movies, however, and led an isolated, though content life, pretty much ignoring my issues.

I went through 11th and 12th grade with a very intense social phobia/anxiety as well. I kept alive by having a cynical, witty sense of humor, but always posessed a negative self-image; all I seemed to really care about was how I looked... After I graduated, I did CC for a year and worked nights. About 6 months later, I moved out, but meanwhile read Buddhist stuff and became a lot better in social contexts. I was friendly, not defensive. Then, a few months after that, I had an intense bad trip, which focused on bewilderment, confusion, paranoia of people I was with, etc. Similar attacks persisted.

I moved back w/parents, scared of the anxiety, and visited a psychiatrist. I'm still going to him (about my 10th visit). We've been working on several things, I've been doing some cognitive self-help (Burns' Feeling Good), and so far I've gotten much better. But, despite this, I still feel quite anxious and feel as if there's some irritractible low-self esteem issue; it's immensely powerful and I see myself as wholly inadequate. When talking with people I feel forced (surviving to look OK), and I feel rejected when I know realistically they aren't doing so. Just today I read about APD, and it's scary how much I seem to relate. The problem is, it seems absolutely hopeless. If this was a general depression, I'd be OK w/the low-self esteem, but imagining this disorder for all my life, never being able to build esteem and love/have friendships; why live?

My question is simply how dubious is APD? Psych hasn't mentioned anything, but I'll bring it up next-time (3 weeks). As of now, I'm severely depressed with the thought of me having APD... Was doing OK, but the thought of feeling like this forever. No can do.

Overall; what do you think? What should I do?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I write this to crazydays cause he sounds just like my room mate. We always (for 20 years) have been calling him a hermit. All he does is sleep, stare in the mirror for 2 hours a day, and go to work. He doesnt do any thing in between, lives a very depressing life as far as i can see. He doesnt clean the apartment EVER and doesnt care. You basically have to pull his teeth out just to get him to go outside. He is not poor however but lives a very simple life and doesnt care. Im sure you and him face the same infliction, you mentioned self-esteem and this man is like a jelly fish (no backbone at all). Ive been told by many that he is not ugly. Hes ben on  zoloft for 3 months now. Please give me some ideas on how to help him work on this aggrevating situation.
Helpful - 0
See my question and answer - Can severe anxiety cause paranoia.  I, too, was fearing that I had a personality disorder, but since I have started medication, my symptoms have subsided somewhat.  It is scary to think you have a personality disorder, but you sound more like social anxiety to me. I also have struggled with this and my friends have called me a hermit at times.  It is a result of low self esteem - now, my goal is  to figure out why my self esteem is so low, and work on it. This is what you should focus on also.  Good luck and hoping for better days soon
Helpful - 0
242532 tn?1269550379
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think when you should do is continued to see her psychiatrist on a frequent basis until you come to the source of the problem.  I think you are misreading the issue of personality disorder and are wrong to think that you have some lifelong disability.  What you have described here is how social anxiety and self-esteem issues are created during one phase of your life and have to be repaired during this current phase of your life.  You are now forced to adapt to new set of circumstances and to face issues that once resolved will open up your life so that you can continue to build positive self-esteem based on real accomplishments.  These are very soluble issues so stick with your psychotherapy.
Helpful - 0
Hi,  Everyone has fears, don't take yourself so seriously, go with the flow!! Someone will love you, it doesn't sound like you are opening yourself up to people, one thing you must remember, people like what is on the inside, if you are a caring, kind person, that is what is important, you are still young, life gets easier as you get older, do things for yourself that make you feel happy, the world is full of exciting and challenging things, and you will change as you grow
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area