Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

WellbutrinXL

I have been on low dose Klonopin for 1 1/2 years for an anxiety disorder. Doing well until recently. Recently, I have experienced depressive symptons. While the Klonopin may be a contributing factor, I still need an anti-anxiety med. I know this. My experiences with SSRI's have been awful and they aren't a good option for me. CBT has been of limited help. My doctor has given me some options. One of these is to TRY WellbutrinXL. I am concerned, due to the anxiety history, of the norepipherine (SP) effect. I will be remaining on the Klonopin, should I choose to proceed with this med. I need mood elevation. I am extemely sad most of the time, and help with drive and focus. I have alot of lethergy and fatigue. My Dr. assessment of the XL version is that's it's a "smoother ride" with less peaks and valleys, therefore a surge of the anxiety producing chemical(s) should be minimized.
I would love to feel better, but I'm shell shocked on antidepressants and quite frankly, am unsure how I really want to proceed.
For other posters who may wish to add a comment, I would like to hear postive stories. The negative experiences with these meds are easy to find and I'm aware they don't "agree" with some. Please, no horror stories.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I tried Wellbutrin a few years ago, but it didn't seem to have an effect on me.  I would like to try WellbutrinXL.  What I'm wondering is, if anyone has had the experience of XL helping when the regular one didn't.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your comment. This is my first experience with Wellbutrin (SSRI's were intolerable for me) so I wouldn't have another dosing form to compare it to. It hasn't been quite two weeks and as my other drug trials have gone, this hasn't been awful. To say it was devoid of side effects, wouldn't be true. It has increased my anxiety symptoms and the Klonopin isn't covering all of that. Initially, I have felt a little "spacy" and somewhat dizzy. But, stomach has tolerated it well and I'm sleeping ok - so I'm not ready to give up on it at this point. I think I need to give it a fair trial. The untoward effects, I hope are just a start up thing and will diminish. It's good to hear that it did help with your anxiety. I used to think my anxiety was a free standing diagnosis and not linked to depression. I'm rethinking that and I think an antidepressant is a good med for me to at least try. I'm hoping it will be a good answer for me. We'll see as the trial progresses. Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
I have been of wellbutrin xl for 3 months now. I don't think It works as good as wellbutrin sr. I have been on wellbutrin for 3 years and it has helped with my anxiety a lot.
Helpful - 0
Thank you. Your answer is much appreciated.
Helpful - 0
242532 tn?1269550379
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There are plenty of positive stories, and you should take comfort in that.  You will be well protective against the stimulant effect if you continue with klonopin, so you ought to consider your doctors recommendation as a trial which can always be discontinued if necessary.  Be sure and get therapy along with the medication..it is always the best thing to do...and you may need more than CBT.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area