Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what's best to help sleep w/WellbutrinXL

I am a 49 yr old male.  I have taught for 20 yrs. & lately have found the job unbearable.  I was first prescribed Prozac 5 yrs ago which was ineffective and then Celexa 40mgs & thought it saved my  life.  But this yr it stopped working.  My dr. switched to Lexapro which I tried for 2 weeks & no improvement.  Nothing helped w/mood & especially SLEEP.  I originally tried Lorenzempam to sleep then switched to Clonezpam .5mg & eventually needed neither (while on Celexa).  I've asked for medical leave until I can get this under control (hopefully).  Now I'm trying Wellbutrinxl 150 mg.  While at school (for 1 week) this caused anxiety & crying & difficulty in just speaking to people, but I know I need to give it a chance. What can I take for sleep? I've been on Ambien 10 mg & it works for about 4 hrs but I know it's only short-term.  I also have Trazadone 50 mg but the one time I tried it, I slept but could do NOTHING the next day (as a teacher!! how embarrassing)  I see my doctor tomorrow but should I continue the Trazadone?  Any other recommendations I can use in combination w/the Wellbutrin  that will both help sleep & mood?  I'm hoping 4 weeks on Wellbutrin will help, but if not, what's the next logical choice?  Not being able to concentrate very well made this hard to write and I'm supposed to be an English teacher.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ativan / lorazepam has the effect of extending sleep according to dose.

So you can pretty much work out how much to take, with a few night's experimentation, in order to sleep 8 hours.

Note that it does *not* enhance all-important Stage Four sleep. Klonopin is one agent that does. But as for length of sleep, lorazepam is not only the mildest of the benzodiazepenes, with it you can get a full night's sleep.

BTW: benzos are commonly found to be non-addictive in patients who need them; that is, one does not need more and more over time.

Best.
Zo
Helpful - 0
The ativan has worked for me too. I like it because it seems to wear off by morning activities as long as I take it about 7 hours before I need to be awake.  I have to watch the clock at night to do this. Wellbutrin XR does tend to make me a bit of a night owl.
Has anyone else had severe constipation with the Wellbutrin XR?
Helpful - 0
242532 tn?1269550379
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You might try using the Ambien only after you wake up early, that way the short term effect works in your favor and you can avoid the hangover of the longer acting medications like Trazadone. Hopefully the Wellbutrin will resolve the issue so you are only taking one medication.  Are you also talking to a therapist, if not, you should.  Medications are not cures. They are temporary relief.  The underlying source still has to be dealt with.
Helpful - 0
You might ask oyur doctor abot ativan it is supposed to be a sleep agent that does not affect your ability the next day.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area