Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question for BobbHilton....

Hi Bob, I would like your opinion please..I will try to be brief, Last year started having really bad headaches, pain in back of head, with retrobulbar pain/pressure. Gradual, ascending, Left hemibody tingling and numbness since July, by Oct. the left side of face, lips and tongue were affected... Nov. started having random dizziness... Dec. noticed mild "visual disturbances", one episode of tunnel vision, and at times my eyes kinda go crazy on me, quick, jerky,or jumpy mostly side to side, almost vibration like happens really quick, and a few times at night with my eyes closed it's as if they start "dancing" in my head, and a wave of nausea comes over me, but again quickly passes. On top of all these vague, non-specific symptoms, I have noticed a change in my voice..for approximately 3-4 months it has been much lower pitched, and somewhat coarse or smokey sounding. My friends and family frequently comment on the sound of my voice, so I know it's not getting any better.I have had 2 MRI's 1st one in Oct. showed 1 small hyperintense lesion if left frontal white matter with area of increased signal in inferior medulla, midline which Dr. said was most likely vascular structure or artifact. 2nd MRI was in Jan. which showed 3 hyperintense lesions in right frontal white matter and 2 in the left side, with "prominent capping" of the anterior horns of the lateral ventricles.
From this info would you care to share possible differential diagnosis?
What does the prominent capping of anterior horns mean?
Could a change in voice have anything to do with other symptoms or simply coincidence? I am beginning to sound like a She-Man, very annoying, not very feminine!    
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,
   a microangiopathy in a younge who is not over weight, doesn't smoke,and no other illness (I assume not on pills? not mentioned or hurbal meds esp for energy or losing weight?) associated with headache , which sounds more like  late onset basilar type migraine or a transformed from a childhood one (in kids is on both side and more nausea)..with a residual perminant sensory findings in one half of the body between the attacks ....Is somthing I usually follow up closly ,
Any  family history of headache or early onset stroke??

I see your  neurologist has done  it properly by ruling out a primary or even a secondary vasculitis and  hypercoagulable screen ( did you have  ESR or CRP , protein C, S, antithrombin III, activated protein C resistance, thrombin time (dysfibrinogenemia), antiphospholipid antibodies, homocysteine, cryoglobulins, ANCA, lipoprotein (A) ) I will add sickle cell testing if you are african american?
   CADASIL is an abreviation of  cerebral autosomal dominant arteriopathy caused by a gen mutation and associate with migraine (Basilar-type migraine) is some thing we keep in mind in younge patients ,  though your MRI is not typical

Cerebral vasoconstriction syndromes. may be seen in  postpartum angiopathy, or if on vasoactive drugs (ephedrin/cocaine ), or a patient with migrain migraine (the MRI is different than yours)

The above one as well as the complicated migraine (a migrain resulting in stroke especially if on oral contraceptives) are diagnosis of exclusion (meaning we have to exclude every thing before thinking of them)

Having said all that its worth knowing that 14% of migraineurs have  white matter abnormalities seen usually in the periventricular white matter or near grey-white matter junctional areas, as compared to 4% of control subjects.

In the management of basilar type migraine the patient can not use the usual abortive therapy and will need a good prophylaxis therapy.

Bob
Helpful - 0
Sorry for not clarifying better, I've always had generalized headaches with nausea growing up, but last year they changed to pain in back of head, and pressure/pain behind eyes. I would rate some of the headaches 8-10, VERY INTENSE. I often have nausea and vomiting with them, Neuro gave me Midrin, but it doesn't really help. I feel like I take way too many,(took a bottle of 40 in as many days, not a pill every day but several pills a day, several days throughout) but it helps keep it from getting so bad, Midrin does not stop it, it runs its course over a 2-3 day period at a time.Left hemibody tingling has been basically constant since the onset, anywhere from a mild tingling, to a more intense pins and needles, and even  a tight feeling esecially the face, my tongue feels like I have drank a super-hot cup of coffee LEFT SIDE ONLY.The dizziness is random, and the visual disturbances are more episodic.  Voice has been consistently lower since early Dec.
Neuro first thought "something in the thalamus" then mentioned MS, Sjogren's, B-12 deficiancy and Diabetes, but all test were normal.
He performed Lumbar Puncture, I don't think he actually checked pressure, I was sitting on table bowed over for the procedure, I would think to check pressure you would need to be lying down on side????
I know they did CSF cell count,protein,MS profile, and checked for bands.....had Elisa and Western Blot for Lyme, ANA & RA, CBC, B-12, Factor V....
All they told me was "normal" and that MRI's "looked good."
Neuro said most consistent with microangiopathy....Do you concur?
Any other thoughts, advice????
Helpful - 0
Sorry its not clear to me if these symptomes are episodic and you are fine in between or progressive? what is the time correlation between the sensory symptomes, nausea, eye things, and the headache?how bad the headache could get out of 10...did you have a migraine as a child? ..what do u mean by a normal CSF , what was the neuroradiologist openion about the changes?

Your medical terminology is good are in the medical field?

Bob
Helpful - 0
I am 42 yrs/o, 5'6", 120 lbs, don't drink alcohol or smoke, I do not have hypertension, nor diabetes.
All blood work came back basically normal.
Lumbar puncture was also normal.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease