Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

cervical stenosis with myelopathy Bob Hilton help!

I have moderately severe left foraminal stenosis at C3-4, a large herniated nucleus pulposus at C5-6 causing moderate left foraminal stenosis, mild to moderate central stenosis C5-6 and C6-7 with moderate uncinate hypertrophy at C6-7 resulting in moderte bilateral foraminal stenosis, These are MRI results. I also have  a central disc bulge at T7-8, and at L4-5 mild central stenosis due to combination of facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy amd broad based disc bulge. X-rays showed osteophytes at most levels in thoracic spine. I have headaches, neck pain, shoulder pain, numbness in thumb and pointer finger. Pain at mid back, and lower back pain, with radiating pain in buttock and all way down left leg. If the neurosurgeons fuse the multi-levels in my neck, will my neck be stiff? And will they work on neck and lumbar at the same time? I drive for a living 8 hours a day, and can't be off work forever. Or is this going to disable me? Please, anyone with any answers, help! If surgery is in my future as I expect it is, any ideas how long of a recovery period? Thank you for any help you can give me. I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, 16 of 18 pressure points, and type II diabetes.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your insights Bob. I too have been questioning if my pain is from the degenerative changes or if in fact I do have fibromyalgia. I do not have the typical fibro fog reported by many. I got my NCS and EMG results today, with nerve root irritation noted at C5-6. Weakness in left biceps and bilateral median neuropathies of the wrists.Lower extremity showed slow tendency to respond to vibratory testing over the feet and great toes. I have been on anti-inflammatories since 1991 injury. I was put on additional antiinflammatories in December when the low back pain started. I cannot take opiod pain maedications except at night and on weekends, as I drive  8 hrs a day for my job. But I have had to recently increase the dosage of Vicodiene from 1- 500mg tablet to 2, at night, to relieve the pain. My osteopathic physician is referring me to a neurosurgeon for a consultation. I will ask him about the IDP surgery you mentioned. My lower back pain is only 3 months duration, but the neck/upper back has been ongoing for probably at least 10 years off and on. Any other insights re the EMG/NCS will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for responding to my post.
Helpful - 0
Dear LLWB
     I never had a good relation with the surgeons because I always believed in conservative managements for a good time esp if diabetic , since it affects the small vessels supplying blood to the spine and may affect the healing plus a higher chance of infection.
First , at this point I will at least cast  a doupt on the fibromyalgia with all these degenerative changes.

you wrote MYELOPATHY?  myelopathic symptoms are  motor symptoms, or bowel and bladder abnormalities , which is generally accepted as an indication for surgical therapy, esp if  severe or progressing , otherwise surgery could be delayed if the person is manifesting improvement in the neurologic deficit.

I dont see any line about the confirmation of a root damage by doing EMG/NCS??
What did you try for the pain and for how long?

Epstein's (one the major reviews 1989) clinical review of  more than 1300 patients with cervical spondylitic myelopathy were put  in a conservative treatment evaluation that 36% showed improvement, whereas 64% showed no improvement . In those who did not improve, 26% deteriorated neurologically, with the remainders remaining stable.
the believe in the 1960s (I cant remember the name of the reviwer) was long periods of a neurologic stabilization occur between episodes of deterioration...which all add to try a consevative way as long as possible

About your Q of the prognosis the 2 most important factors for successful surgical  outcome in patients treated for cervical spondylitic myelopathy are
1-the patient's age and
2-the duration of symptoms.
Young patients tend to do better than elderly patients. And those who's disease has been present for fewer than 6 months have a more favorable outcome than patients whose symptoms have been present for 1 year.

If you are able to delay the surgery you should
1-have strict control of the diabetes, a plan to lose weight
2- Ask your surgeon about the chance of have the new less invasive surgery called The X STOP Interspinous Process Distraction System (IPD)

Bob

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease