Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Twitching and ALS

Many people are worried about twitching and ALS.  Lower Motor Nueron problems present with Fasciculations.  Fasiculations are muscle movements under the skin that CAN BE SEEN BUT NOT FELT!  Also ALS almost never presents with just twitching.  Trust me if you have this disease your problems are far more severe than just twitching and twitching in a real sense never occurs first.

I am not a DR.  I know this from personal experience.  I am including a good video that shows fasciculations.  Remember this man cannot feel this muscle movement it can only be seen :-)  

http://library.med.utah.edu/neurologicexam/movies/motor_ab_01.mov
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Unfortunately I cannot feel the tremor in my tongue, and so have no idea how long it has been going on for, that is what worries me more than any twitching which I have been living with for more than thirty years.

You are right though that it takes a lot more than twitches to diagnose ALS.

I also know how difficult it is to allay anxiety. I have a lot more happening than just twitching and I do want to get to the bottom of it whatever is causing it. What really bothers me is that it is not impossible to have more than one thing wrong with you and just because something is not ALS does not mean you don't have that sneaking up on you as well.

My mum had rheumatoid arthritis, only a small percentage end up as disabled as she did as it was very aggressive, however she also had asthma and that was not the mild variety I have either, she did not live to her natural span. That is why the fact that a circumstance is rare does not actually stop me worrying about it because if you are one of those few that has it, the statistics are not comfort are they?
Helpful - 0
Hi~~
   I have to tell you, your post was VERY reassuring.  I've been having generally pretty widespread twitches now for a little over two weeks, and this symptom has evoked such anxiety in myself!  I used to have anxiety attacks, and generally have been somewhat of a hypochondriac over the years, but since going through menopause, my anxiety has decreased, and I haven't really dealt with the health issue thing for a while.  Then, this came up out of the blue, and sent me reeling!  I haven't felt like this in a while.  However, every time I read something such as your post, it really calms me down.  I feel that I'm driving my family crazy right now, and my husband is actually mad at me for worrying so much about ALS, he thinks I'm being ridiculous.  Maybe it's the way this came on, which I think suggests that it is benign, but it's hard to say.  And, it's amazing how each day, I feel that I add another symptom to the list!  I was just sitting on my bed last night talking on the phone, when I noticed that on the lower part of my right leg, there seems to be an unusual indent.  This could have been there for years, but here I am noticing it!  The other leg has something similar in the same area, just not as pronounced.  Of course, now I am thinking this is muscle atrophy!  My neuro appt. is on Monday, and it can't come soon enough!  
    Thank you again for the encouraging post, it made me feel better, for sure.  My twitches seem to have lessened a bit, and I know that twitching can come from anxiety so I hope that is what I am experiencing.  Thanks again!  Val
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease