Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pituitary Gland cyst and other MRi findings

Patient Profile: 54 year old women(history of migraines/crohns disease/diverticutlis/underactive thyroid for 13 years)

I recently had an MRI for persistent headache that was unusal for me(bending over/coughing). The MR of the pituitary showed a probable Rathke or pars intermedia cyst. It is 4x11x6mm extending to within 1 mm of the optic chiasm/no evidence of chiasmal compression/cavernous sinuses unremarkable. Q1 Based on this info what symptoms might be consistent from pressue of the cyst/gland? I am having myoclonic jerks while trying to go to sleep (hands legs shoulders)could this be related? Q2 Is this impacting any important areas of brain function?  Q3 Is a cyst easier to treat thru surgery than a tumor? Q4 Is rupturing a concern and would that be damaging? The other concerning result is a small 3mm cyst like structure in the right subinsular region? Q5 What does this mean and what brain functions occur in this area and is it reason fo concern? The report reads like it isn't a big deal. Q6Are small cyst common to have in the brain?

The report suggests a followup MR in 3-6 months. Q7 Does this seem reasonable?  Q8 Do cysts of this nature generally grow rapidly?  My plan is to follow up at Mayo which is close to where I live.  I understand the surgery should be done by someone who does frequent Pit gland surgeries.

Current symptoms: headaches/myoclonic jerks while relaxing to go to sleep/pounding sensation in the lower spine/recently acquired high blood pressure/shivering/shaking sensation.
Q9 Cound some of my symptoms be caused by the possible pituitary dsyfunction?  My hormone levels have not been checked yet.

Thank you so much for taking my question at a time when I have so few answers

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, I have just received similar MRI results. Initially I had very high prolactin levels (suspected prolactinoma) and was given Cabergoline to lower the levels also MRI was done to confirm. It turns out I have this 4x4x1 micro tumor on the pituitary gland which is secreting prolactin. But Further more they found a larger cyst in the area which is pushing against the pituitary gland which already has this microprolactinoma.

I have frequent headaches (Mostly toward the later part of the day), alot of the time find it hard to get to sleep and go to the toilet frequently in the night. I have also lost quite a bit of weight.

Am waiting for Surgeon analysis
Helpful - 0
OOPs  I wrote all of this thinking I had the doctor page....  Anyone have anything similar or knowledge of it please post, thanks.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease