Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

First Time Migraine-help!

Am a 45 y.o. teacher who was diagnosed with mono 3 weeks ago. Was fine (generally) until 2 days ago. Mono reared its ugly head again. Ended up in ER. Have been resting but have experienced skull crushing headache b/t eyes and at base of skull. It has lasted over 24 hours. No relief with over the counter meds. Have had these headaches before (infrequently), always come on at night. I wake up with my head pounding--even before mono diagnosis.
If you have migraines, does this sound like one? I've never had migraines although my mom had them when I was young. She doesn't have them any more. Called my doc. She prescribed vicodin. I'm a little frustrated b/c I know there is "headache" meds out there but the ER doc and my doc don't seem to get it. Any help/advice is appreciated :{
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have you had a test for bacterial meningitis? Viral meningitis can also cause severe headaches. With this occurring so soon afer mono I think your doctor would have taken those into account.

On another note these sound like my headaches, they wake me up in the middle of the night and they are devestating. If one starts I cannot function at all and if I don't act quickly I cannot head them off. I cannot get out of bed to go to work or do anything. They don't necessarily manifest in the normal migraine symptoms, nausea, sensativity to light, sounds and smells. Sometimes they do and I cannot take meds because I know they won't stay down it will be a waste of medication. Opiods only make me feel better they do not work on the headache pain, tried Replax to no avail that makes me sleepy but does nothing for the headache.

Mine are not "headaches" as much as they are "head pain". My occipital and sub occipital areas of my head hurt all the time. I have osteoarthritis in spine with stenosis and facet joint degeneration. I believe the headaches to be cervicogenic and to be occipital headaches. Had RFA (radio frequency ablation) at C3,4,5 and 6, the fact joints. Although it only worked for about 3 weeks and headaches returned worse than ever. Now I am on Gabapentin for the "neuropathic pain". Apparently proceudres did not work or they made it worse.

At any rate you need to have the migraines checked out and a brain MRI should be done anytime there are headaches upon waking in the morning or especially at night that are waking you. Mine states "nothing remarkable", hmm, I don't think I like that term.

Good luck.

Helpful - 0
I started having miagrains in my 20s i tried everthing on the market went to pain pills because that was my last option i went trough a exsperintal test at a major hospital they gave me botox injections and they got rid of them ,  as long as i kept getting them, but thank the lord when i got about 33 my miganes disapered ,i have one  once in a while  and i take a pain pill for it if i do but it dont last long like they used to do sometime this used to put in bed for 4 days,  good luck i know how  miserable them things can be.
Helpful - 0
178107 tn?1315947630
It does sound like a migraine.  I use to have one every month, the week before my period.  I had a hystorectomy 4 years ago and haven't had one since.  The doctor had always told me that they were hormone related.  The best drug that I have taken for them was Imitrex.  It comes in pill form, nasel spray, and injections.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease