Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dizziness while driving - tests inconclusive - anyone else?

I have had consistent episodes of dizziness while driving.  The only other time I am "dizzy" like this is when I am focused on someone I am speaking to.  While driving my head feels heavy and I feel like I could lose control, though never do.  I have had a few MRI's that show nothing, blood work (nothing), EEG (doc says I have overactive areas of the brain??), and a carotid study (normal).
Was put on Diazepam (did nothing) now am trying Clonazepam (just started).
I have a 3 year history of TIA's that the doc seems to think may be the cause or part of it, though the first TIA was eclampsia induced.
Does anyone have similar issues and what tests/treatment have you tried?
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Please read my comment. You have a hope. I almost gave up. But I think I found the cure! It is a true story.

I am 40 years old now.I used to love driving. My weird dizziness started on November 2013 when I was in a passenger seat while my friend was driving. It was very sudden but very obviously the dizziness were there.  
I used to drive fearlessly for 23 years but all of a sudden I became disabled. Even when I drive 30-40 miles per hour, it was struggling for me and made me so dizzy and I had abnormal visual feeling like a tunnel vision. Driving became a nightmare since then. I stopped driving highway for over one year and six month.

I went to ENT(Ear, Nose and Throat), eye doctor, brain MRI, blood work, acupuncture, Korean traditional medicine, chiropractor and neurologist.
Everything was normal. No doctors couldn't figure out.
On Thursday(June 4th, 2015), I went to a different ENT doctor in a big hospital in the downtown hoping for an answer my ear is the problem but got out with disappointment. Nothing was wrong the doctor said. I am a single mother. It was so devastating to experience this crazy symptom not knowing the cause or clue. On the same day, I researched internet out of desperation and found interesting comment above. That was new. I went to a book store and bought the book "Trigger point therapy workbook" by Clair Davies. I watched several youtube video of STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID (SCM) trigger point massage.

I had nothing to lose and was going to try anything to be better. I tried the SCM massage(Please search google where to find SCM in you neck) right away several times a day very diligently for four days. Since the next day, I felt more than 50% better and today I accidentally went into high way and drove for 4 miles without stopping. I couldn't even imagine to drive on highway before because even for local road with 40 miles per hour was struggling for me for long time. Today I can excitedly say my dizziness for one year and six months were gone more than 90%. I felt normal for the first time.

I was so excited and so was my son. I really hope many of you can be cured like me. It was so simple and so easy to fix it. Current medical system was far beyond to find a cure or cause easily which is sad. However, thanks to some brilliant doctors like Travell & Simons and therapist like Davies, the author and her father, and someone like a normal person who took time to write a comment for other people, I think a lot of people will be relieved from this confusing dizziness.
I am so happy. I feel like I am reborn again. Try this massage today and if you got cured, please write a comment and spread the words for others!!!
Helpful - 1
So has anyone found a cure or relief?

I am a 34 year old female and have been experiencing dizziness while driving only on the highway for the past maybe 2 years. It has just gotten worse where it happens almost every time I am on the highway, it used to just be every once in a while. I get the sensation that I am on a conveyor belt and my car is stationary, but the road and everything else is moving towards me at a high rate of speed. I have been driving since I was 16 and even drove myself to CA and back in 2001 and again in 2004, and have never experienced anything like this. I do get motion sick, but this is a little different and comes and goes very quickly. There seems to be nothing I can do about it except for pull over and let someone else drive. If no one else is in the car, I just have to pull over and let it pass, but it usually comes back after I start driving again. I try everything, blasting the AC, putting all the windows down, used those wrist bands, tried to take excedrin, tried caffeine, trying to focus on different places... I have an eye doctor appt and a chiropractor appt this coming week, both first times at both doctors and will try to see my PCP to see if he has any suggestions.

Please let me know if anything has been helpful to you.
Helpful - 0
what is TIA
Helpful - 0
I had this same issue went to my family Doc told me to try Meclizine 12.5 mg they are over the counter for motion sickness the ones I got are 25 mg so I cut them in half. I was told they act as an antihistimine that actually reaches the brain unlike others. I have used them now for two months and they work great. I would have been screwed without them. Driving was nasty before now its just fine.
Helpful - 0
I am so thankful I found this page.  I, too, have been suffering for years.   I am a 41-year old female.  I have traveled on expressways and tollways my whole life without incident.  Ten years ago I had my first "attack" while driving on a familiar tollway.  I felt dizzy, lightheaded and disoriented.  It was very hard to stay focused and I was certain I would pass out.  This has happened hundreds of times since then.  I've had to pull over and let some else drive, I've had to get off and find a different route.  I have even been stranded.  And forget about bridges!  I can't do bridges anymore, I most certainly will passout. I get into a cold sweat and feel like any second it will be lights out!  I live in the Chicago area and the expressways are vital.  I actually like it when there is  bumper to bumper traffic because I don't have those sensations.  My boyfriend says it's a mental thing, but it's not.  I've been driving on expressways since I was sixteen and I have never been afraid.  It's more of a visual thing, I think, combined with speed.  I'm not sure.  Sometimes, it seems that if I look a certain way, off to the side and a car goes speeding by, it's all over for me.    
Helpful - 0
I have suffered with this problem for the last several years. It is beginning to interfere with my life. I've also had numerous tests and get no negative results. It is worse for me when I'm driving over bridges and places where the road might drop off, even just a little drop off. I am starting to get in periods of panic when driving. Any help out there would be appreiciated
Helpful - 0
I have been like you since 11/3/07. I still need 3 pillows to lay down. I cannot lay flat and could not have my MRI done due to vertigo when I lay flat. How does one with vertigo have an MRi done if you can't lay flat?
Helpful - 0
I also have the dizzies all the time, I too have been to the doctors office many, many times... they just keep saying vertigo.... I have to hold my neck also... I am going to the neuroigist on the 11th of may... hope he is some help... I have also heard that the chrio can help... there are many that do the Blye tech. and i am going to go to seattle to try that if the the neuroigist doesn't help... I have  had this for 19 months now... getting really old hat... if any of you have had something work for you please post a note or email me ***@****
Helpful - 0
We're about the same age....I am 32 and also a female.

I started getting these "attacks" in January.  I would feel really weird and out of it and like I was going to collapse.  The only thing that does not match up to TIA symptoms for me is the weakness/heaviness on one side.  I felt it on both sides.  My arms and limbs would feel heavy and weak, lips would feel numb and I felt like I was going to have a stroke.

I also have frequent heart palpitations and keep being told they are benign but they're so scary.  Then when I get these horrible bouts of vertigo  and feeling like I might fall, they scare me which just increases the palps.  It is a horrible vicious cycle!

I have not seen a neurologist but have been to my family dr. about a dozen times in the last 3 months.  I have also seen an ENT twice and had a thorough inner ear exam including lots of tests to rule out inner ear problems.  I have been to the ER three times, am scheduled to see a EP/Cardiologist in 2 weeks and went last night to a chiropractor.  The chiro says my neck is a complete mess (which I already knew) and it could be contributing to my symptoms.

The vertigo is getting a little better but I still have daily bouts with it.  Sometimes when I am laying still (like when trying to fall asleep), I feel like I'm in a boat.  It's so annoying!
Helpful - 0
You definitely have explained the same thing - I often place my hand on the back of my neck while I drive.  I have difficulties standing in group meetings whithout having to move my feet around, because it feels as though I may fall.
The first TIA I had was when I was pregnant and had some severe blood pressure issues.  It started with a "floater or void" in my left eye, then I lost the ability to speak clearly, then I lost feeling on the right side of my body.  As one sympton left another one came.  Since then I have had 2 other instances where I get the floater then lose feeling in a limb.
Have you been prescribed any medication?  What type of docotor are you seeing?  I am now with a neurologist, though I'm having to do tests and "try" medication as there seems to be no simple cure.
Share your thoughts please.  BTW - I am female 31yrs old.
Helpful - 0
Wow, I have the same issue.  It is mostly worst while I am driving.  As a matter of fact, I feel like I have to put my hand on the back of my neck when driving.  I don't know why.

It also is realy bad when I am talking to someone, mostly at work.  Sometimes I wonder if the horrible fluroscent lighting has anything to do with it.

I also get this feeling when I am standing sometimes that feels like the floor has been yanked out from underneath me.  Do you get that too?

I have noticed I have alot of pressure in my head.  Almost like my brain is swollen or something.  It is so bizzare.  I have had a MRI and Cat scan and neither showed anything.  

You mentioned TIA's.  What do those feel like?  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease