Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Bobb Hilton

posted previously with my MRI report. I saw an orthopedic surgeon yesterday. Said MRI film looks good, standin xray looks good. Saw no structural reason for back pain. I'm wondering what the symptoms of facet joint problems are & how are they diagnosed? Would an xray or MRI show it? I would describe my pain as mostly standing still I get a lot of discomfort & tightness in the back muscles, not directly in spine. Seems like muscles get tight & fatigued & start to hurt. Any input is appreciated, Thank you
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry to keep commenting, I keep remembering more stuff. I've also seen a physiotherapist. Is that similar to a physiatrist?
Helpful - 0
Thank you for responding. I have had a thorough exam with Dr.s who checked for facet joint pain(bend backwards & they twisted the shoulders rt. & left, bend forwards & twist, strength tested, etc.) said that the movements they had me do would present alot of pain if the problem was the facet joints. Thinks the cause is muscle weakness in the trunk(back) from a couple of things in  my past(won't go into whole story) Do you think the exam was thorough enough?
Helpful - 0
Forgot to mention I've also been working w/a chiropractor who's helped me tremendously with some pelvic (SI joint) instability & a physical therapist for strengthening.
Helpful - 0
Hi,
  The best thing is to see a physiatrist for a full examination (they have so many maneuvers to bring different pains out and  tell if its a soft tissue/muscle induced pain ..for general information about  back pains , please see my comment on April 14 for jaycop4
   Back to your questions
   wondering what the symptoms of facet joint problems are & how are they diagnosed?
    Depends on the location of the facet joints, meaning high cervical , low one or thoracic..or lumbar which may  give exactly your symptomes (localized stiffness)... for the 2nd part of the Qs ..generally Lumbar MRI is a non-invasive and allows for excellent visualization of the soft tissue and discs..but if (like your case) MRI is normal and your exam suggist a mechanical cause (a physical exam is crucial here) then Discography could show a distention of a facet joint .
Would an xray or MRI show it? X ray is used to diagnose fractures and evaluate the bony anatomy while there is something called "Dynamic lumbar spine films"  which is done by asking you to do flexion and extension of the back and take picture or X-ray views, this may demonstrate abnormal movement (subluxation).  About the MRI I already answered.

God Bless
     Bob  Hilton
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease