Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Anyone have an answer--Bobb Hilton?

I have had a host of oddball symptoms since July of last year, including the following:
-Shooting pain starting at the hip and going right down my leg, first on the left side and now on both sides
-Tingling in my legs
-Numbness in my toes (even when I'm standing up)
-Occassional tremor in my legs, sometimes they shake uncontrollably and I can't walk
-My leg muscles are really tight (one doctor said somewhat spastic) all the time
-My LE reflexes have been described as "pretty hyper" (I love these clinical terms)
-Bladder issues (Frequency/urgency/needing to urinate every 5 minutes/occ. incontinence)
-Tremor in my hands (seems like intentional tremor i.e. only happens when I'm trying to use them
-Fatigue
-Difficulty concentrating

I've blood tests for lots of stuff--B12 fine, sed rate just slightly elevated, WBC fine, no diabetes. Liver function is fine. I'm not overweight.  I just had an MRI w/wo contrast--"no signs of MS". Dr. did say I had a sinus infection (!). I was told that the leg pain was benign neuropathy--where would this be coming from? What underlying cause?  I'm scheduled to see a neurologist soon.  I want to ask intelligent questions and get to the root of this.  I have already been told once when I presented at my family doctor's with the tremor that it was conversion disorder.  I'm not really buying this.  I'm not under any more stress than most people, and this isn't getting me out of anything unpleasant--it's just making my everyday life mildly to moderately unpleasant.  Being thought to be slightly unhinged isn't helping me.  Does anyone have any ideas?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,
   First, conversion disorder, though could be due to a recent stress, but  its mainly due to a very old stress (e.g childhood abuse mainly a sexual one)..you may feel its not affecting you at a conscous level any more.
    About the spastic legs..I cant comment because I have not examined you, but if we added to the hyper reflxia + any sensory deficit? then could explaine the tremor of the legs when you try to stand up, simply it could be Clonus or, if you dont have the above signs then,  an Orthostatic tremor ( but you could only be told that for sure, by a physcian who could examine you physically)

Your question: I was told that the leg pain was benign neuropathy--where would this be coming from? What underlying cause?
    It could be a new terminology, so many new names coming up , I've never heard of a benign neuropathy?

God bless
    Bob Hilton

Helpful - 0
Thanks for taking the time to answer me.  I just want to get to the bottom of this.  Now as far as a past trauma, I was never abused in any way as a child.  I had a pretty normal childhood, stable family, etc.  I thought the conversion reaction dx was a little off because the dr walked in the room and said he knew exactly what it was before he had even touched me.  In doing research later on I found that it something that is a diagnosis of exclusion.  Maybe the neurologist will have some answers.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease