Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I am a medical enigma

Ten months after having my daughter (July 2003), I started to throw up, for 6 weeks. Before this I had been in perfect health. My symptoms progressed to severe pain in the back of the head and neck. I had unbearable pain which was sporadic throughout the day for 2-3 week periods. This started my nose, neck, upper arm and thigh (all on the right side). From July to Oct. I began to have involuntary right hand and arm movement, which progressed to full body spasms. I had extreme fatigue, hiccups for 48 hours straight, double vision,extreme vertigo, tingling in hands, arms, feet, legs and my back (much later). I had the l'hermitte sign as well after the spasms stopped. I was given so many meds and tests. After an MRI, 3 brain lesions were found and I was treated with steroids. My condition had drastically improved in a 1 year period. My brain lesions have only scar tissue remaining. I was given all the MS tests, including evoked potentials, LP and MRI. There was no diagnosis. Now in 2007, I was given the go ahead to conceive and baby #2 is on the way in 2 mos. I have had some recurrence of symptoms (mild) that had gone away or decreased. L'hermittes,a wider range of periferal double vision, headaches, fatigue. Have you ever heard anything like this? What was the dignosis? The MS diag. still haunts me.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Pregnancy is tough without medical problems, I should know I have four little girls myself. From what I have read about ms it is a diagnoses of exclusion, also many women report a decrease in symptoms during pregnancy because the immune system is on hold so your body does not reject the baby. If you had a negative LP and evoked potential that is very promising. Fatigue is a very natural part of pregnancy. Are you sure you are having Lhermitte's? If I were you I would go back to the neurologist for another check up, with ms there will be other signs, such as hyper reflexes, positive Romberg test, Babinski's sign, bladder problems, as well as optic neuritis, is that the problem you were having with your eyes? Migraine headaches can cause similar white spots on an MRI. That's really all I know, try to relax enjoy your pregnancy, because before you know it it will be over.
Helpful - 0
multiple sclerosis
cervical spondylosis
cervical disc herniation
cervical spinal cord tumor
Chiari I malformation
radiation myelopathy
subacute combined degeneration (caused by vitamin B12 deficiency) All of these conditions can also cause lhermitte's sign so you may check into them especially vitamin deficiency. I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease