Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Arm/Hand numbness and shoulder pain

I am 27 years old and 2 weeks ago I woke up with slight right upper & lower arm numbness or "cold feeling." I thought I had just slept wrong, but the next morning it was a stronger sensation and radiating down through all my fingers. I stopped sleeping on that shoulder but it has continued to worsen. Now, I have a HUGE numb/pain feeling in R upper arm (breast level), some shoulder & forearm pain, and much pain in my palm and wrist. I have NO neck or back pain. Co-workers have suggested a chiropractor or neurologist but I couldn't get an appt w/ a neurologist for 2 months. Any ideas for possible diagnosis? Any other recommendations than just waiting for appt?    
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have similar symptoms and went to a very good sports doctor who works with major league baseball teams. He diagnosed me with a partial tear of a ligament that connects to the rotator cuff after looking at an MRI of my shoulder. He  recommended physical therapy which did not work and I am now looking at a micro surgery proceedure which the doc says is the next step to alleviate the pain. I honestly feel that the medical field is much like the auto repair field and involves a lot of guess work to repair a problem. i.e., if this doesn't work, lets try something else, all at the expense of the insurance companies, or worse yet, out of the individules pocket.
Helpful - 0
I had similar symptoms 2 months back, plus SEVERE right shoulder pain and weakness in the triceps.  I thought I have rotator cuff problems because I was flinging a stick hard for my lab to fetch.  Self diagnosis is bad.  But I did it and went to (1) massage therapist (2) chiropractor (3) "pain management" doctor.  I really think these people are scams.  In the 3rd week I had and MRI done and found 3 bulging disks and 1 (C6-C7) badly herniated.  

I saw 1 neurologist who treated me with traction, cervical brace and Lyrica. Had minimal relief. The I saw 3 neurosurgeons and they advised ACDF.

I had ACDF 2 weeks back and have almost total symptomatic relief.  The concern now is how to ensure total fusion.

If you get weakness and continued numbness - it is a sign of nerve damage.  ACDF with a good surgeon should work well.  It is very important to choose the right one and have a good rapport with the surgeon.

Good luck mate.

Helpful - 0
178107 tn?1315947630
I had the same symptoms.  I never had any neck pain, it was all in my shoulder and arm. After having a MRI of my neck my neuroligist told me I had  herniated disks at C5-C7.  I had a cervical fusion in Nov 2006, which was a big mistake.  I am in more pain now than I was before I had surgery six months ago.  Be sure to get a second and even a third opinion before you let them do any surgery.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease