Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Electrical sensation head/spine then upper back pain

Diagnosis: Fibromyalgia with main symptoms severe sleep disturbance and radiating pain across upper back and chest, sensitivity to sound,temperature, light and finally anxiety and depression. Symptoms are present 98% of the time. Pain killers including morphine are not very effective in treating the pain. I take 3 mgs of Lunesta and 200 mg of Zoloft which do help greatly with sleep.  Over the past several months I have experienced increasing electrical sensations in my head, mostly the right side (from the ear to the front of my forehead (like an electrical buzz or rushing of blood). I have more frequent and severe jerking of boy parts upon falling to sleep and a strong sense of my heart beating. I almost bit my tongue once - my whole body will jerk enough to make my back crack.The electrical sensation often feels like a wave of water rippling throuh my body down to my feet. After such an attack I feel a surge of fatigue, a feeling that my broncial airway is swelling or irritated ? and worsening of back pain. I recently took Cipro for a bladder infection and the second day on this medicine I had a remission from all of the main symptoms (I did feel off balance, bumping into things a bit and still had sound sensitivity to loud nosies I would jolt). It was the best 4-5 hours I have had in a many years. This remission was short, but I have had fatigue symptoms for some 20 years with a progession of working to disability.   What are your thoughts on using low doses of anti-biotics for treating fibromyalgia over an extended time frame?  Can Lunesta contribute or cause the electrical or jerking sensations?  What causes the electrical sensations, balance problems and jerking?    
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
147426 tn?1317265632
Thanks, Carol, I was hoping that someone would see my flag and supply the info.  Quix
Helpful - 0
Sunnydaze:
Fibromyalgia and the symptoms you listed can be caused by tick borne infection.

The Canadian Lyme Foundation has good information.
http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html

LymeNet.org has a flash discussion group that is quite helpful for newbies who are researching symptoms.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?

Have you tried supplementing with magnesium?  This might help with the jerking.  
The Lyme bacteria invades the cells and uses up so much magnesium that our nerve and muscle cells are depleted, resulting in many problems.

Carol
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Also, Lyme disease has now been seen just about everywhere.
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Here I am in an area where I really know very little, but I've been reading these boards now for about 6 months.  Have you investigated Lyme disease?  Your symptoms sound so similar to those complained of by others and, to my mind, not so much like typical fibromyalgia.  Try doing a search here - up on the menu bar above - and read a good number of the posts about Lyme.  If it sounds like it may fit then many of those posts have a connection to lymenet (I'm not sure of the exact address).  Too many doc's are ignorant of how sneaky Lyme disease can be, how hard it is to trust the few tests we have, and they dismiss it when the blood tests are neg.  

There is a huge discussion about finding a "Lyme-Literate-MD" (LLMD).  Even when the good tests are negative, it is often worthwhile to do a trial of antibiotics to look for improvement.

Lyme can masquerade as Fibro, CFS, CFIDS, MS, etc.

I hope you can find some answers.  Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease