Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Child with visua distortion

For 3 years now my 10 year old has had episodes of visual distortion. She describes these episodes, which last for a split second at a time and can come in clusters, that her vision goes like 'when you fast forward a video'. Three years ago, she was seen by both a neurologist and ophthalmologist and had an EEG, MRI and other ophthalmology tests done. Everything was clear. She used to get about 30 - 40 per day but they eased over the last few years to about 1 or 2 every few months. But since Christmas, she has been getting them more frequently, approximately 5 - 20 per day. She has an appointment to see an ophthalmologist but I feel that she needs to be seen by a Neuro-ophthalmologist, but there are none in the Republic of Ireland. I will travel abroad to get a diagnosis and possible treatment. Can anyone tell me what is going on??
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
147426 tn?1317265632
I clearly wrote my response to you without absorbing all that was in you messages.  I'm so sorry.  Before needing to travel to see a neuro-ophthamologist perhaps you or your child's Dr. could write up a concise history and results of her evaluations and mail it to the head of several academic, pediatric neurology or neuro ophthamology departments asking for direction or advice.  UK, Scotland, Europe, US - Wherever you think you could reasonably travel.

I have done this when I was at a loss and been rewarded with many fine, helpful answers.  At least if some express an interest in seeing her you would know where to travel to.  You would think people like this would be too busy to respond, but I received many compassionate and thoughtful answers.  In all reality your physician would probably get the best reception.  I could not know if they answered me merely because I wrote, or that there was an MD after my name.

Her problem, though worsening, is 3 years old, and you probably have several weeks to await an answer.  Mine came in over about a 3 month period.  In your communication emphasize that the problem is worsening.  In the meantime, she needs a new MRI w and w/o contrast of the brain (and possibly cervical spine).  Much can change in a 3 year period.  Has the neuro seen her recently?   If not then another eval is warranted.

I do have a question.  What happens during these episodes of visual distortion?  Can she communicate?  Do you see eye-blinking or movement of her lips?  Does she ever seem to lose time (eg.  lose track of a conversation)?  I'm thinking about "absence seizures" which can occur dozens to hundreds of times a day and really mess up a child's life. They may be only seconds long, but the child's attention usually drops out during them.  They do not fall or lose their posture.  If walking, they sometimes continue walking during the seizure.  They are common in childhood, usually quite treatable and, if uncomplicated by other neurological problems, often self-resolve by adulthood..  Has the neuro discussed this possibility or are your daughter's symptoms strictly limited to complaints of visual distortion?

If it seems like a possibility then a repeat EEG with hyperventilation is warranted.  If there is any chance that she is having absence seizures then she should  not do any activities which would be dangerous if her consciousness flickered (swimming, bike-riding, etc.)  

Just a thought.  There is also documented, I think, siezures in which there is a "aura" only which can be a visual disturbance.  

I hope this post was more helpful.  Quix
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
While these could be migraine-type events, their frequency is more concerning for something neurological.  Has she had a MRI of the brain and cervical spine?  Does she have headaches.  How is her coordination?  Has she had an EEG?  I'm sick today, but I'll look for your answers soon.  Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease