Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Would like interpretation and general suggestion about numbness on right hand.

MRI Cervical spine: Symptons subsequent to neck and R arm pain duration 3 weeks; numbness/tingling R forefinger, palm and thumb R hand.Intensity of numbness can vary during day from almost not noticeable to persitent numbness and tingling. MRI findings:  C2-3 normal; C3-4 Mild posterior bulging of disc annulus and bony productive change, mild thecal sac flattening; C4-5 moderate focal central disc herniation; entends inferior to interpace. MOderate midline cord compression. C5-6 Mild to moderate central nd slightly more right sided disc herniation and probable bony productive change. Mild to moderate cord deformity and moderate asymmetric right C6 root impingement. C6-7 moderate central and left sided disc herniation/ridge noted. Marked stenosis and cord defomrity seen. Mild intracord T2 hyperintensity is suggested, consistent w/ myelomalacia. Marked bilateral C7 root imipingement is seen.

Can intial treatment be steroidal injections; Must these be decompressed and how extensive would this surgery be? Is arthroscopic surgery an option here or even anti-inflammatories /steroidal treatment or other treatments available?  Amount of
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
your spinal cord is nothing to take lightly. Have you seen a neurosurgeon yet? The neurosurgeon can explain all your options. I have cervical problems with my cord involved and will have 3 level ACDF the 30th. It will be about a 4-5 hour surgery with up to 6 weeks in a hard collar afterwards.

I was able to put off the surgery a few years with other treatments but my neck MRI at the time DID NOT read as bad as your does!

GOOD LUCK!!

Helpful - 0
kim,

Stenosis of the spine is a norrowing of the canal that that spinal cord moves through.  Any time something touches a nerves that isn't suppose to the nerve responds ( like hitting your funnybone).  That is a likely cause of the numbness.  I am not sure that a steriod injection in your neck would decrease your symptoms.  Steroids will only decrease inflamation not fix a mechanical problem like rubing.  

Hope this helps

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease