Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tingling Buzzing in hands and feet

I'm a 35 year old male from the UK in otherwise good
health.
About 3 months ago I started having some weird symptoms/sensations.
Firstly, I noticed a slight tremor in my left thumb, it only lasted a few seconds and I put this down to fatigue, as I'd been working out with weights. For some weeks after this my left hand felt tired and shakey, but without any loss of strength or actually shaking.
I then started to experience intermitant sensations of what I can only describe as light numbness and pins and needles in both my hands and feet, but primarily on my left sided extremeties.I would also occassionaly get these sensations on a small area of my left thigh.These sensations regularly come and go, but last seconds rather than minutes/hours.
In recent weeks the light numbness seems to have subsided but I have noticed that I regularly wake up
during the night with either hand completely numb.This is rectified in seconds by wiggling my fingers, but the effected hand is left feeling weak for a couple of hours.I have also noticed a strange
buzzing sensation under my left foot, that I can only describe as if someone was holding vibrating mobile phone against it.
I have been to see my GP who seems to think stress or anxiety.Basic blood tests have come back normal.
I apologise for the length of this post, but I would
much appreciate any thoughts or advice as the where I go now.
1)does anybody know, statistically, how likely these
symptoms are to be caused by some serious disorder ie ms.
2)Does stress/anxiety seem a feesible cause.
3)These symptoms are very light and the worry of what they might be is causing much more of a problem than the actual sensations. With this in mind, do you think it might be better to just live with these things and see if they die down of their own accord.
Many thanks in advance.

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. Im a 26 year old female with well controlled hypertension but otherwise in good health. I am simply perplexed by my symptoms. Basically im having tingling/buzzing in my hands. Its odd though because it only happens right before my REM sleep. Its quite bothersome and is causing me to lose a lot of sleep. I havent been to the doctor yet...(ive lost faith in them since ive become a nurse) but im beginning to feel so desperate to sleep again that i just might go! Any suggestions?
Helpful - 0
Many thanks for your reply.
I must apologise as I accidently posted this question twice
whilst trying to attach it to the Ask a Doctor forum.
Anyway, whilst reading through this forum I can see that
my symptoms appear lighter than most, however, like you
say, they are just not normal and the fear is of what they may progress to.
Whilst nobody can give a definitive answer to my problems  on a website, I suppose I'm just trying to get an idea of the
likelyhood that these symptoms are caused by a serious
condition, rather than something which may resolve of its own accord. As no doubt many would agree, the stress and worry of what might be is often worse than the physical situation you find yourself in.
You have certainly given me some more to think about with regard to all this and I wish you well with your own situation.
Steve.    
Helpful - 0
I THINK doctors are too quick to attribute a patient's symptoms to stress or anxiety.  I think we all have a degree of stree in our lives, or we wouldn't be ALIVE.  I experience the same troubling symptoms as you do.  The shooting pain will come from nowhere and lift you off the couch. Numbness and tingling become part of your life.  Please do not ignore your symptoms, but keep track of them.  Have you had your knee reflexes checked? Mine are hypersensitive and my central nervous system seems to be affected.  I was sent to see a psychiatrist who sent back a very favourable report to my doctors. I was not depressed, nor did I suffer from any phobias, or did I want to feel like this.  I had 55 years of a good life, prior to my undiagnosed neurological symptoms.  You know yourself what NORMAL is and when you start vibrating, tingling and your central nervous system is out of whack, SOMETHING had to happen to cause it.  Also, check with other family members, did any of them suffer from any auto-immune disorders?  Some of these things are genetic and it is better to be aware of them.  Good luck, try to stay positive and join a support group for chronic pain or people suffering from undiagnosed disorders.  Did they check you for Lyme, your B12 levels and did you possibly have a virus prior to your symptoms?
God Bless,
The Canadian
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease