Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Worried about Radiologists MRI findings

Hello, I am a 48 yr. old female.I recently had a MRI done on my Sacrum.I will not be able to see my Dr. for 4 weeks and am going crazy over these results and would appreciate any info as to what this all means.The MRI was done without contrast.Is this anything to be concerned about? I've had severe pain in my lower back and down left buttock..and A sharp pain sometimes in my abdomen radiating towards my back.Thanks SOOO much!!!!!! The Radiologists findings in a nut shell:

There is a left adnexal T2 hyperintense lesion identified measuring approximately 2 cm in maximum diameter. A second left adnexal cystic lesion is identified measuring approximately 1.3 cm in maximum diameter. A small amout of free pelvic fluid is identified. No evidence of sacral nerve root inpingement is seen.

RECOMEND FOLLOW-UP PELVIC ULTRASOUND FOR CHARACTERIZATION.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Recently I had a MRI done on my lower back. The nurse messed up when she ordered it, I don't have lower back pain, I have upper back pain. They did find some things though and she couldn't explain them to me, I don't think that she knew what it was. I now have a MRI scheduled but it will be a month and a half until I will find out what is wrong. So until then I would like to know what is wrong with my lower back. The army doesn't seem to care too much about us so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

The intervertebral discs from L1 to L5 ar within normal limits with no evidence of a herniated disc or spinal stenosis. The spinal cord and paraspinal musculatures are unremarkable. Mild hypertrophic changes involve the bilateral facet joints between L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. A 0.95 cm x 0.61 cm ovoid, well defined mass, hyperintense on T1W1 and T2W1, adjacent to the lateral aspect of the left facet joint of L4 most likely represents a lipoma. There is no evidence of acute fracture, dislocation, or bone edema.

Thanks

Helpful - 0
Hi Northcoast...the Dr. said to wait and see if the cysts go away by then..and if not then she'll think about putting me on Birth control. I don't think so!!!!!! I've had my tubes tied and I really don't want to take that stuff! Is there anything else I could get done?When I showed her my results I told her I was on my period already. Don't you think it would of broke or disolved with one period. Sorry this sounds so screwy....I'm just worried. I was thinking about trying to reschedule a closer date. I think as a patient I have that right to get the ball rolling sooner!!! The Dr. acted like it was no big deal!!! Both my grandfathers and my Grandma died of cancer. I think I have a right to get one sooner don't you think? I really do appreciate any comments anyone has. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
I wonder why it takes until July 12th to have a transvaginal ultrasound.  Shouldn't you be able to get one of those more quickly to answer your nagging concerns?   I had one of those a few years back.  Not bad.  But I felt like I needed a cigarette afterwards, if you know what I mean.  :)  They found a cyst on my ovary that went away after a few months.  Hope you are well soon!
Helpful - 0
Quixotic1, I can't thank you enough for such a fast post!!!! I saw my Gyn. today and she is doing a transvaginal ultrasound July 12. She doesn't seem to think it is a big deal...Hmmmm. Lets hope she's right. Again...Thank You SOOOO much!!!
                                                                                    Angel
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
High, the findings on the MRI have nothing to do with your spine.

You have two "masses" in the left "adnexa".  This is the tissue that makes up the ovary and fallopian tube.  A mass could be a cyst (like an ovarian cyst) or a tumor (often benign), or a mass of endometriosis.  The "free fluid" seen in the pelvis might be the fluid of a ruptured cyst or leaking cyst, which BTW would cause the pain you describe.  The fluid could also be blood from the shedding of endometriosis.  

Your sacrum did not show evidence of a pinched nerve, but pelvic pain often is felt both in the lower abdomen and in the lower back (just like cramps).  

The radiologist recommends follow up with a pelvic ultrasound.  I think you should call your Dr. and request an urgent referral to a gynecologist.  If you don't need a referral to see your gynecologist then make an urgent appointment to see her/him.  A gyne is more qualified to order the correct imaging procedure.  If the doc that does your regular gyne exams is a GP, then I still recommend a referral to a true gynecologist.

I hope this helps, Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease