Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Muscle fatigue/weakness and sporatic tingling in arms

In mid-February I began with cold/flu-like symptoms that continued for several weeks, until I was finally given the 'probable' diagnosis of Mononucleosis.  Bloodwork showed an increased level of a certain antibodies (4.24), but all other bloodwork appeared normal.  My main symptom was extreme fatigue, to the point that I was basically bedridden for the entire month that followed.  My muscles and body just felt completely exhausted.  

After a total of about a month and a half, I was able to return to work, slowly building up my strength and energy again (I am a very active massage therapist in a busy resort/hotel).  I was working out and getting myself physically back into shape, feeling energetic and great again, up until a week and a half ago.

That morning, at work, during one of my massages, I started feeling my arms going tingling/numb, and I started getting incredibly weak again.  I feared immediately that I was relapsing into the 'mono' again.  Since then, I have not been able to return to work, the muscle fatigue/exhaustion just leaving me very weak and not able to do very much at all.  For the last two days, I have had increased tingling/numbness in my arms and hands as well, but today I have experienced none of that.  I DO feel with my weakness that my body is mostly in a slight shaky state, kind of like the jitters you get from too much caffeine (I am not a caffeine drinker, aside from a few glasses of tea each day).  

Basically, I cannot function or live with what I am currently experiencing.  We are thinking this is something neurological, as bloodwork is not showing anything.  I am just confused why some of the symptoms come and go, especially for the 6-8 weeks I was back to full energy, and now, why the numbness/tingling is not every day.  

Any ideas of what could be going on?!
Thank you so very much!!!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This sounds exactly like my symptoms as well.  Has anyone gotten a diagnosis?  I have had every type of testing imaginable and nothing abnormal found.  I am guessing neuromuscular disease of some sort and have scheduled appt.  My symptoms have improved and returned over the last few months.  I felt almost completely back to normal last week, only to have the symptoms return for a 3rd time this week.  I am arms and legs feel like lead and I have difficulty with the normal activities of daily living.  ie. showering and dressing tire me out.  I've had MRI, rheumatology, blood work, myasthenia gravis panel, etc, etc. etc.  nothing.
Helpful - 0
Ive have the same symptoms that come and go, it started with very weak muscles , shaky feeling and numbness in different areas my foot , arm , leg, back.  My thyroid was very low, my levels are now normal but still feeling this way, cannot function trying to push myself too.  going for an mri of the brain tomorrow .  good luck to you.  I have not yet been tested for mono.  but I have been checked for lyme. Go for a lyme disease test  many docs forget about that.  good luck
Helpful - 0
i feel exactly the same, its been a week now im i live in montreal but it just hited me now in mexico i think im gonna get back home... extreme fatigue in all my body shaking a bit arm and hand tingling if someone have a suggestion im open to it
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease