Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

MRI indicating ALS

My wife just received a MRI report that showed atrophy of the motor cortex.  The report states the findings are worrisome for ALS.  The doctor giving her the news was visibly upset.  We're now trying to get into an ALS clinic ASAP.  She was initially seeking help because of numbness in hands and feet, aggrivated when she sits, and weakness in the right side.  She's otherwise veryhealthy.  Is this a normal prognosis based on such little information?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
147426 tn?1317265632
Patsy makes a very good point.  I did some reading of the research literature.  Atrophy of the motor cortex in ALS is seen on pathology (that is actual physical examination of the brain)  No one has shown that it consistently shows up on MRI.  It is an area of controversy.  The current thought is that MRI appearance is not part of the diagnosis of ALS.  The atrophy seen on your wife's MRI may have been there from birth.  It may well be an incidental finding.

Her presentation with numbness certainly does not sound like ALS.

I hope you both the best.  Quix
Helpful - 0
I'm no doctor but everything I have read on this forum and on my own said ALS does not show up on an MRI.  I also read there are no sensory symptoms like numbness or tingling with ALS.  It's only a motor problem.  This is just what I found with reading.
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
I wish I knew more so I could actually answer your question, but  I don't know.  You are now doing what needs to be down to answer the question.  I do know that a lot of people raise their own worry about having ALS and then live in terror.  The doc's in the ALS clinic will be able to answer the questions.  If the appoinment is too far out, could your neurologist perform some of the basic tests like the EMG, etc?

Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease