Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

STINGING/BURNING PAIN IN EXTREMITIES

For the past year I have been experiencing a burning/stinging pain in all four of my extremities and it is getting progressively worse.  It prevents me from doing almost all of the normal activities one does using their arms and legs.  the severity changes from day to day but is progressively worse overall. The doctors are baffled.  no over the counter meds will help, nor will Lortab5/500.  I have tried resting, exercising, stretching, hot/cold and then hot then cold...massage...everything and nothing helps.  To talk on the phone I need to prop the phone on a pillow because my hands can't take the pain.  At first I thought it was the joints but now it seems more like my muscles.  There is no method or madness to it...no cause effect.  I am at my wits end.  I have always been an extremely nervous individual, hi stress level.  I am unable to work and am only 46 years old.  Hopefully someone could give me some insight.  I am about 150 pounds over weight...have been for years...but the symmetrary of my pain leads me to believe theres is more to it than my weight.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Unfortunately, weight has alot to do with your problems. If you can lose that weigh, it would help tremendously on your problems. Besides helping hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, it is so hard on your knees, hips, and back to be morbidly obese.
It is also harder on the medical community treating you. Dont forget that they have to help you get off tables, soemtimes push you in wheelchairs, stretchers, and the nachines sometimes will not hold very obese patients,
Try to help yourself, I know it is hard from experience but you need to do it for your health and your life!
Good luck to you!!
Helpful - 0
612020 tn?1220754099
Three years ago I woke up one morning with numbness in my left little finger. As time went on it not only did not go away the numbness, combined with pain like a burning/tingling sensation, escalated. As the pain became more and more intense I paid thousands for tests and my doctor finally told me he was going to perform "elbow" surgery. I went online and saw a picture of a man that had just had "elbow" surgery and it showed about a two inch scar. To my horror when I came to after my surgery I almost immediately started suffering horrible pain, to the point I had to remove my cast later that night. Puss was coming from the incision; infection had set in, and I had an EIGHT inch scar running from up past my elbow down to midway of my left arm. The Surgeon blamed the outcome of my surgery on my being "too fat" and as I sit her typing this I can tell anyone reading it to be VERY CAREFUL before you allow any surgeon to do to you what this one did to me. I am in terrible pain 24/7 and after hearing, "Well, you probably have Fibromyalgia" for the tenth time as I kept seeking help I have come to the conclusion that what ten doctor's have now told me. "It's something you must learn to "live with". I don't have millions of dollars, or the patience, to keep having very expensive tests only to get nowhere so the bottom line is this. They can send a man to the moon yet expose humans to this kind of "medical treatment" then tell them they must learn to live with mind numbing pain for the rest of their lives? Scary!!!!!!
Sandiwarnerinwa
Helpful - 0
Could it be side affects from any meds you may be on?

Are you diabetic?

Have you tried any of the meds that are used for neuropathy, like Lyrica or Neurontin?

Have you had any MRI's?
Helpful - 0
It sounds like it could be neuropathy.  Have they done an EMG?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease