Aa
A
A
A
Close
199882 tn?1310184542

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND MY MRI'S

I'll get right to it.
Anoncontrast study reviewed this image.  There is a linear area of T2 hyperintensity extending from C2 to C6.  This appears to predominantly involve the posterior columns.  A second MRI scan of the cervical spine performed with contrast demonstrates similar findings, and the T2 signal abnormality is nonenhancing on postgadolinium images.  A third MRI scan of the cervical spine is essentially unchanged from the precious two studies.  I also reviewed MRI scans of the brain which show rare small nonspecific foci of T2 hyperintensity but are otherwise unremarkable.  There are no enhancing lesions.  The patient also had lumbar puncture performed in which the oligoclonal bands and IgG index were negative.

Please try and explain this in simple terms.  I don't understand any of this.

Thank you
Carol
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
199882 tn?1310184542
Yes,  I do have numbness and tingeling.  This all started 4 years ago and I am now in a wheelchair.  I have chronic  pain.  I am 42 years old.  I was very outgoing and athletic before this started with just tingeling in my left arm.
thank you carol
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Hi, granny :)  I'll try, but this is not my area of expertise.  The MRI's of your cervical (neck) spine show a long lesion (area of abnormality) extending in a line down spanning 5 vertebrae.  It does not get brighter when they gave you contrast.  I believe this means that it is not new or newly inflamed.  It may be an old scar (I'm not 100% sure here)

The line (lesion) in the spinal cord is in the area that usually carries sensory information back to your brain.  Are you have tingling, or numbness or paresthesias?

There also were a couple tiny white "lesions" in your brain which may or may not be important.  We all get these as we age.  They often appear by age 50 or so.

That's the best I can do.  Does this help?

Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease