Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dizziness but no balance problems

I have been having problems with dizziness for about 2 years now.  Is worse at night but it is constant.  Have had a CAT scan of head done and EKG and heart monitor of heart.  Also have had hearing test done and lots of bloodwork.  Have no fever and have never actually fainted or fallen down.  Have lots of problems with my eyes with focusing and redness.  Tried eye drops but they don't help.  Have astigmatism and supposed to wear glasses but they make the dizziness worse.  Have a lot of pressure in the head and nose.  Sometimes pain in the jaw.  Also have fullness in the ears most of the time.  I moved to the mountains about 3 years ago.  Blood pressure seems to be fine and my sugar seems to be fine.  I was wondering if maybe it could be sinus, allergies, neck problems (which I do have neck pain but not severe).  Had eustachian tube dysfunction (supposedly six months ago) but maybe it never went away.  Was on antibiotics.  I do have anxiety but I think it is being caused by whatever is wrong with my head.  When I am doing my hair in the morning and looking upwards, when I am done I have tremendous pressure in my eyes.  Also feels like I have nystagmus.  When I try to focus, my eyes feel as if they are "jiggling".  I also get tingling on top and the back of my head from time to time.  I do get headaches once in a while.  My insides also feel as if they are shaky and when I am standing still the ground feels as though is is moving.  Now that is seems as though I am crazy here is my question.  What does this sound like?
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ok, have been on the antibiotics for 5 days now and am not feeling any better.  I am thinking it is not a sinus infection.  My head feels like a terrible weight and my eyeballs feel swollen.  I don't know what else to do.  Could something possibly be wrong with my neck or eyes?  I feel like I am so tensed up that maybe it is making my head feel weird.  
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Sorry, I missed the last question.  If the problems is not a sinus infection, the antibiotics will not make you worse nor should they cause more problems other than possibly diarrhea, or a yeast infection.  While you're on the antibiotics eat some active culture yogurt every day.

Quix
Helpful - 0
Did you get my last comment?
Helpful - 0
Ok, I went to the doc today and she said I have a sinus infection causing my dizziness.  My husband doesn't believe her.  I went to a free clinic.  They gave me antibiotics.  If it isn't a sinus infection, will the antibiotics hurt me or make me feel worse?
Helpful - 0
Can the BPPV ever make me actually pass out?  That is what I am really worried about.  I am worried that I will be driving or working and I will pass out and wreck or something.  If not, if I ever pass out, then something else is wrong, right?  Thanks for the suggestions.
Helpful - 0
Thank You.  Yes, that makes sense.  I have an appointment tomorrow at a clinic.  I am thinking I may have an ear infection or something too right now.  The back of my head has a lot of pressure and my neck is hurting and my eyes cannot even focus.  Do you know much about cervicogenic dizziness?  I had to call off work today, here we go again.
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Antivert pretty much does squat..  An idea - many chiropractors know the Epley maneuvers and can test - to an extent- using something known as the Hall-Pike test.  You might call around to the chiro's in your area to see if any of them are versed in the Epley maneuvers.  Also VEDA list Physcial Therapists who perform the Epley maneuvers or similar treatments.  These would be less expensive options.

The Epley maneuverc can be done in a single office visit.  In order to keep your job, you might contact one of the physicians listed by VEDA and see if they would accept a payment plan.

Here is VEDA's website to the page that directs you to people who treat vertigo in your region:

http://vestibular.org/find-medical-help/search-by-region.php

Good luck.  I don't know what else to suggest.  Quix
Helpful - 0
I have never had an inability to stand or vomiting and I don't have a constant roaring in the ears.  Also, the vertigo lasts all day long everyday.  Not just a few hours.  I do however have fullness in the ears.  My husband seems to think it is heat exhaustion.  But I don't see how heat exhaustion could have lasted for almost a week now.  Though the heat does make me feel worse.  
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
No, the BPPV could make you fall and feel like you were going to pass out (lose consciousness), but you are miserably conscious the whole time.  If you hit your head when you fall (a real possibility) , then all bets are off.  Does that make sense?

Quix
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Another possibility is Meniere's Disease, another form of vertigo.  It is different from BPPV in that there is no positional component to the vertigo, but there are periodic vertigo attacks which can last hours.  Can mild or very, very severe with vomiting and inability to stand.  There is usually a feeling of fullness in the ears, the hearing fluccuates and often there is a ringing, roaring, static in the ears - some sort of constant noise.

Both of these disorders can affect your balance.

No, I don't know much about cervicogenic vertigo.  Quix
Helpful - 0
The doctors have had me on antivert but it does not help at all.  It says to take as needed and I took one yesterday and today I felt worse.  I am so scared because I already lost one job because of it and now I am afraid I am going to have to lose my job now.  I am waiting on insurance to start within the next few months but if I am not working I still won't be able to afford to go to the docs.
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
It sounds like classic vertigo.  I suspect you have BPPV, a positional kind of vertigo.  You need someone well-trained in vertigo  to evaluate you.  I can't discuss more today, because my eyes are also "jerking" and the screen is imposible to follow.  Here is a link to something I wrote for this fourm on vertigo and it explains how to get it evaluated.  You could also search vertigo or BPPV online.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/NeuroSupport/messages/1976.html

I'll try to get back to discuss this with you.  I am a physician and wood like to ask you some questions.

Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease