Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Need Neuro help!

My niece is 7yrs. old.  She has been diagnosed with ESES (Electrical Status Epilepticus Sleep Epilepsy) 3 yrs ago.  She is now almost 3-4 years in developmental delay.  She has no balance, her hands shake constantly she can't look up when she walks and it is hard to understand what she is saying at times.  Her father has late stages Huntington's Disease.  Although the docs tell us it is not HD, she walks just like him.  She was normally developing until about 4 years ago.  She has had some cluster seizures duing the day but mainly all her sleep studies show her sleep contains about 80% seizures.  She has a hearty appetite but is only 33 lbs.  her bones are sticking out.  Her hair started falling out from the depakote so the changed her meds again.  Can this all be related to the epilepsy?  Can all this be a food allergy also or worse, can it be Huntington's disease?  Help, we don't know what other kind of doctor to take her too.  We are lost.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
672136 tn?1225838905
I had Sydenham's Chorea as a child. They thought I had Huntington Disease. The symptom are the same with both. They tried everything with me and the only thing that worked and saved my life, was steroids.  

I know that Huntington's is hereditary. My prayers are for you and your family. I went through hell. I did not think that I was going to live. Both, are very rare diseases and soooo much same.

I know that I got mine from Strep as a kid, then rhumatic fever, then the Chorea came. They need to have these 2 disease right next to each other because they are so similiar.
Helpful - 0
Thank you! We can use all the prayers we can get for Olivia, her father and her aunt and uncle! God Bless!
Helpful - 0
My comment is not informational.  I just wanted to tell you I have a friend who was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease around age 25.  I have watched her deteriorate over the past few years.  I will send a prayer up for you.  God Bless.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response.  I am so afraid that it is Juvenile Huntingtons because of the symptoms.  My sister is afraid to face that fact.  I told her as much as it hurts her to face she is hurting Olivia more by not having hee treated.
We watch her husband go downhill every day, he can barely walk and barely talk anymore.  He tries hard.  But now to add to it, his brother and sister were just diagnosed.  His mom died at 42.  And the story goes on... I appreciate all your comments.  It helps to know there are other ppl out there who suffer from this debilitating disease.  
Helpful - 0
Where to start.  Huntington
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease