Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
199882 tn?1310184542

could this be ms / quix

This goes along with the post I had on 5/29.  Could I possibly have MS?  If not what do you think it might be.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
147426 tn?1317265632
I don't know enough about all the ways MS can show on MRI.  I've not read about about a long lesion like yours (extending from C2-C5?) Your are 42, you said you have numbeness and tingling and are in a wheelchair.  Clearly you have severe spinal cord disease and there were lesions on your brain.  That's all I know.  Could you describe the course of your illness, starting with the tingling in your left arm?  What has happened to put you in a wheelchair?

Also when was your most recent MRI?  Have they done a workup for myelopathy - lots of blood tests?  Are they calling it MS?

My heart goes out to you, but I can't tell you much from what you have told us.

Quix
Helpful - 0
199882 tn?1310184542
This all started in Aug. of 2004.  It started with numbness in the left arm and within a couple of weeks it was also in the right arm.  They treated me for carpel tunnel disease, but then the numbness and tingeling sensations started going down my whole body.  By Dec. of 2004 I was having to use a walker because of the severe balance problems.  That's also the time I started having some pretty bad pain in my back, feet, and legs.  It has pretty much stayed the same for the last 3 years except for the pain.  It has gotten so bad that I have had to start using a wheelchair because I can't stand to put any weight on my feet at all.  This has been since March of 2007.  I have had about every test possible as far as blood test and mri's, cat scans, pretty much you name it.  My doctors here where I live (oklahoma) have all leaned towards MS, but none of them would say for sure.  They would say it's process of elimination.
In May of 2006 I went to the Mayo clinic in Minnesotta and they said they would'nt rule out MS but they would'nt say that's what it is either.  They could not give me a clear diagnosis other than that.  I have been accepted to be seen a Neurologist who specializes in hard to diagnose cases on Friday June 1.  I pray I will get some answers then.  I was just wondering if you have heard of what I'm going through with anyone else and what it turned out to be.  Thank you so much for all that you do.

Carol
Helpful - 0
147426 tn?1317265632
Oh,my.  What did the spinal tap show?  When there is disease consistent with MS and the diagnosis is elusive the next proper step is  a tap.  This should be sent for the usual things plus an MS panel - looking for specific protein markers and antibodies and cells.

Your appointment is tomorrow.  I hope they can get to the bottom of it.  Most people with MS can at least have the progression of their disease slowed down, so a diagnosis is important.

Quix
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease