Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Electrical feeling (seizure aura) in body after using cpap machine.

I am 48 years old, and have had a seizure disorder since I was 11 years old.  I've been on Dilantin Kapseals since then, with only one seizure in high school (when I was taken off my meds.)
Since then, I am still taking Dilantin (400mg. Mon/Wed./Fri.and 300mg. the rest of the week). I also take 20 mg. Lexapro once a day for general dep/anxiety, which has given me much relief.

I have severe sinus and allergies, for which I take allergy meds. when needed and go for a twice yearly cortisone sinus shot for some relief.  Whenever I stand up to walk around, I get a pounding/thumping in my head as if it is coming from pressure in my sinuses.  

I was sent for a sleep disorder study and was found that I have moderate sleep apnea, for which I use a CPAP machine.  After starting the CPAP last year, I awoke to use the bathroom and went back to bed with a roaring in my head and a feeling of an electric shock/tingling throughout my body.  It was a dreadful feeling, similar to the beginning of a seizure.  It also effected my stomache with sharp pains.  My Neurol. had several tests done, MRI, MRV, eeg, and ambulatory eeg.  Nothing unusual from the findings, except sinus blockages that were noticed.

I stopped using the CPAP and thought I would try it again just recently, and after 1 week of continuous use, I experienced the same reaction with the electrical type feelings in my body, followed by a burning sensation.  I always remained alert during these episodes and wound up taking lorazepam as instructed by my Internist immediately after the episode.

I am not sure which way to turn now....could it be my sinuses are so blocked, that the pressure from cpap is causing something in my brain to set off a partial type seizure?  I was also concerned about the pressure on my lungs from the cpap, because I would get quick little pains in my lungs when using the cpap too.  

I don't know what else my Neurol. could do as far as testing, but I really do want to find out why this is happening to me.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.
Thank you.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have this tinnittus as well, i ve been on dilantin for ten years and recently switched to keppra......bad idea  had 8 different sezuires since then and thats when my ringing started .now im back on dilantin and feel better , and im goin for a sleep study but i have had this sensation when i blew my nose and had a sezuire two different times  it sounds alot like what you described...   good luck  hope you find a happy medium, oh and  dont take dilantin too long  beware long term side effects.
Helpful - 0
I also forgot to mention that since the first episode with the roaring in my head and the feeling on a coming seizure, I also developed Tinnitus.

Since then I have constant sound in my head whether it is ringing, clanging and sometimes like a motor running.  I need to use a sound machine at night so I can sleep.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease