Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Migraines or maybe MS

I am a 45 year old female with a history of migraines. I have had 2 MRIs in the past the 2nd showing more signaling than the 1st. My neurologist was concerned at 1st with possible MS, but ruled it out saying that the signaling was caused by the migraines. I am concerned though that maybe there is still a chance that I could have MS or other serious problem, but because of the migraines he dismisses the possibility. Does anyone know if you can have migraines and MS? If so, is it harder to diagnose the MS because of the migraines? Is there another test that can be done? I do know that there is some demylination taking place and that it concerned the technician who did the MRIs. Since she did both of them she was concerned that the doctor was not doing anything for the problem.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That does make sense and I hope to get a copy of the MRIs so that I can get a second opinion.

I have memory problems. I also have weakness and pain/numbness, usually in my right arm and sometimes leg; occasionally I have it also on my left side where I wish I could carry my arm(s) around in a sling or put myself in a wheelchair because I don't have the strength to get from here to there.

On the first MRI the report stated that there was one area in the pariatal lobe, directly behind the frontal lobe of increased signaling. The area was about 3mm in size. On the second MRI, 3 months later, the report said that there were now about 7 areas of increased signaling located in the frontal, pariatal and another of the lobes. It also sounded like the area in the first MRI had increased from 3mm to 7mm. On both there was mention of demylenation. I am not a doctor, but even the Neurologist came in and mentioned that he was concerned about MS then when back out, came in and said "You have migraines, correct?" and when I said yes, he said that is what was causing the problems.

If you or anyone else out there has any other information that might help me, I would be greatly appreciative.
Helpful - 0
There are other test that can be done to detect MS.Evoked potentials,visual,somatosensory, and brain stem.Also a lumbar puncture can aide in a DX for MS.Yes people with MS can suffer from headaches and migranes,depending on the lesions and there locations.
Have you read the MRI reports or not.Its not unusual for a neuro to dismiss MS when a patient has a history of migraines.You should honestly get a second or third opinion especially if there are other symptoms present.Migraines have there own catagory of symptoms and some do over lap with MS.But not all MS symptoms are overlapped with Migraines if that makes sense.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease