Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

strange things some time after ECT

i underwent a program of ECT that finished about 2 months ago.

it didnt really work- if anything i think i have been worse, but that isnt the Q i have in this instance.

Ever since then i've experienced what i'd call ''twitching'' especially noticable when i first lie in bed to go to sleep.

the twitches are singular, generally spaced wide apart and range from a tiny muscle ''tickle'' to huge twitches that sit be upright involuntarily and are multiple muscle groups....which are actually pretty disturbing.

occassionally ill have some minor twitches while being awake and functioning also...almost like a tic.

i hope some-one here can shed some light or may have the same...

Thanks all, looking forward to the replies.

Tim
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Tim,

I used to have the same thing happen to me immediately before falling asleep.  As soon as my body became relaxed/still I would start twitching and just as I was on the verge of drifting off to sleep my entire body would jerk-almost as if I was having a seizure.  It was pretty scary as I didn't know why it was happening and I started to dread going to bed at night.  Since then I have found out this is a type of myoclonus and it is benign in most all cases.  Mine resolved and yours probably will too.  Sometimes medications can cause it, so I would look up the meds you are on (if any) and see if myoclonus or twitching is listed as a side effect.  Also, do a web search on "myoclonus before sleep" and see what you come up with.  

I'm sorry the ECT didn't help you.  I also had ECT back in the '80s (two separate times) for depression.  However, the myoclonus I experienced started BEFORE my ECT--I am 100% positive about that.  It might have been related to the antidressants/other meds I was on at the time, but I don't know for sure.  I also had another period of the myoclonus after ECT, but that also resolved.  That was almost 20 years ago and I haven't had the jerking/twitching before sleep since.  

So, it is possible yours is related to your ECT, but I doubt it.  It's more likely that it is related to any meds you are on, and chances are it will resolve on its own.  I would tell your doctor about it, though, especially if you are seeing a psychiatrist who performed the ECT; ask if he/she has heard of ECT causing this post-ECT or if any meds you are on list it as a side effect.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
omg what a FANTASTIC reply!

im off to do the research...makes it easier if you have a name eh?

and yes i am on meds and the symptoms do coincide with new combos and new products so it does make perfect sense.

i cant tell you how thankful i am for your response!

best regards,

tim
Helpful - 0
I'm glad I could help.  Just to add, there are forms of myoclonus that are a symptom of a serious underlying medical condition, but sleep myoclonus is almost always benign (hiccups are another form of (usually) benign myoclonus.  Don't know what meds you are on, but I am almost positive I was on Nardil (an MAO inhibitor--the drug you can't eat cheese/fermented food/tyramine on) the first time I got the sleep myoclonus.  But I'm sure it can happen on other meds as well.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease