Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Psuedotumors?

I was recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, Insomnia, Blepharitis and Optic Neuritis with possible Psuedotumors.  I am just overwhelmed with all of this.  My Ophthalmologist is who came to the conclusion that Psuedotumors could be the culprit in my case.  He asked me several questions about my constant pain at the base of my skull and/or top of spine, temple throbbing headaches, throbbing pressure behind my eyes and hip and elbow joint pains. My husband has to give me a head massage nightly because I am in constant pain! Dr. Baker has me scheduled to see a neurologist on Monday for a Lumbar Puncture.  Is it common for an Ophthalmologist to diagnose this conidition?  He also informed me that the neurologist would be talking with me about MS.  Since my visit the other day I've experienced lots of anxiety and depression.  Is all of this stuff common for a 32 year old woman?  My body is so crazy now that I haven't worked in over 6 weeks!  The pressure in my head and neck sometimes seems to move to my lower back and then back to my head.  I also have  little spasms or tingles in the back of my head for a few seconds throughout the day, then they go away.  Are these symtoms classic of psuedotumors or MS?   I thought that with MS you lose function in limps or have numbness in limps.  I haven't had any problems like this!  Can you shead some light on this subject?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This may not be your problem but I am asking all persons with these symptoms to go to the mirror and check their mouths.  If you have any silver fillings please google"Symptoms of mercury fillings" and "Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome"
good luck.
Helpful - 0
Sounds a lot like Pseudotumor Cerebrei to me. I struggled with it for a little over a year, but thankfully have been relatively symptom free for the last couple years. Although, I do have lots of follow up dr appts. The thing that helped me the most was chiropractic adjustments to my neck along with some massage. It is a problem that predominately hits overweight women of child bearing age. I was told it is not life threatening, however, can seriously impair vision if left untreated. I also had one neurologist tell me that "it generally runs its course in about a year or so".
Helpful - 0
Twin2,

I hope you don't have MS and glad your symptoms better fit pseudotumor.  There is a posting I just came across near the very bottom of the Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum where one of the CCF doctors responds to a person (Riley70)--date of posting is 08/22--regarding pseudotumor cerebri symptoms, MS, as well as optic nerve involvement in pseudotumor cerebri.  You might want to read it, as it sounds similar to what you are experiencing.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I've had an orbital eye MRI, however that does not capture the entire brain.  It only shows the front view(i.e. eyes, sinus etc).  I did look up the psuedotumors on various sites today and I fit the classic description!  When I looked at the MS symptoms, I didn't feel like it fit my problems.
Helpful - 0
I just found this info from a Mayo website.

Approximately 15% of those with MS present with optic neuritis (first symptom).  [My cousin has MS and that was her first symptom.  She went to an ophthalmologist, who dxd ON, he sent her to a neurologist who did an MRI-brain and dxd MS.]

69% of those who have a single episode of optic neuritis develop MS within 14 years.

But as I said, there are other causes of optic neuritis besides MS and some people have ON and never develop MS.
Helpful - 0
I don't know anything about pseudotumors, so I won't speak to that.

As far as MS goes, yes you can have numbness and lose function in a limb/limbs, but that doesn't have to be the first symptom-presenting symptom-and could be something that happens years after the onset of initial symptoms.  I don't know that your other symtpoms sound much like MS (although MS has a multitude of symptoms and is highly variable), but a lot of people that have optic neuritis also have or eventually develop MS down the road.  But not everyone, as there are other causes.  Maybe your ophthalmologist is trying to rule out/in a couple different things by doing the lumbar puncture, the pseudotumor and/or MS.  Did you have an MRI of your brain done also?  Usually a brain MRI is done before a LP when looking for MS, but maybe the LP better diagnoses the pseudotumor, which I know nothing about.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease