Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ringing ears, distorted vision, head pressure and drugged up feeling

Im am a 23 yr old male from minnesota looking for help. About 6 years ago i had strep throat i could not get rid of for a couple of months. Then my tonsils became infected and ihad to get them out. About a month later i was sitting in class and BAM, a clouded mass overtook my head, my vision went disorientated, strong pressure built up in my head and my ears started ringing. I then panicked. This feeling is still with me today. It is nonstop day in day out. I cant function, my life has become worthless. Its like im not even here. Very anxitey ridden
tests: 3 lyme test, negative they treated me anyway on antibiotics, neck-head mri all normal,spinal tap-all normal seen endocrinologist, 3 dif nuerologist, chiropractor, accupuncture, homeopatic doctors, been to mayo clinic even. My parents have spent alot of money but no relief.
I beg anyone with similar symptoms or anyone with ideas please help. The words of a desperate man who wants to live his life
21 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Try going to raw vegan diet !!! Get a nutribullet and get fruits veggies nuts . People have cured themselves of even cancer , it's worth a try and you should feel better , also look into natural cures to boost immune system .
Helpful - 0
Try going to raw vegan diet !!! Get a nutribullet and get fruits veggies nuts . People have cured themselves of even cancer , it's worth a try and you should feel better , also look into natural cures to boost immune system .
Helpful - 0
I've had very similar symptoms for many years and am fairly adapted to life with this. My problems started after a chiropractic adjustment. I had never had a neck problem before, but went to the chiropractor because of a low back injury. He wanted to adjust the uppermost joint so I let him. The problem started within a few minutes. A physical therapist later explained that a ligament was stretched allowing the joint to move very slightly in a way that it's not supposed to move. The one side of the joint is slightly dislocated but not enough for doctors to view as in need of intervention. Beyond that the mechanism that causes my symptoms isn't known. I theorize that pressure on, or damage to, one of the cervical veins is limiting blood flow out of the brain and creating a back-pressure in the rear part of my brain. The increase in intracranial blood pressure is affecting the cranial nerves, especially the ones for eyes and ears. The increase in cranial fluid pressure, I am guessing, is caused by leakage from blood vessels and inflammation.
Helpful - 0
Sounds like anxiety I get this all the time more so when Im stressed pressure in the head ringing in the ears and distorted vision when it gets bad I have panic attacks and I find that prayer works and if you dont believe in a higher power meditation (tai chi) helps and though meds help temporarily they make it worse in the long run I have learned how to control it over time I was having panic and or anxiety attacks up to 4 times a week now when I feel them coming on I can push them away and as your stress dissipates so will your symptoms Im 23 and have been struggling with this the past 3 years and with in the last 3 months I have learned how to control it. If you have questions or need support feel free to email me at pixieperspectives_***@**** -Ashley
Helpful - 0
993822 tn?1249483037
I have been dealing with all these symptoms for many years but just recently it got so bad i started having terror or fear attacks. I have had ALL the necessary tests known to science with NO results. I finaly started a small dose of "anti-anxiety medication" and was treated for "tinitis" and something new doctors are calling "AURA MIGRAINE WITH NO PAIN" wich can cause ALL of our symptoms. 50ml Tramadol seems to take away ALL these symptoms for me and YES even the ringing in the ears but, leaves me feeling a little like i took a couple tokes off a joint so i usualy just take half of a pill to ease the tension. "Topomax" at bedtime sems to helping with the cloudiness. I also use a TENS unit for my neck and shoulders and also have someone rub my neck to promote circulation. I find being outside and not smoking seems to help ease the foggy or cloudiness and cutting down my caffine eases the anxiouness becouse caffine actualy retracts the arteries causeing them to temporarily shrink wich makes the heart pump harder, not good for the anxiety portion. I also take a ONE-A-DAY for men multivitamine to keep my molecular balance. I also take an anahistamine in the morning and an acetameniphine in the evening both are over the counter. The anahistamine helps losen my sinus tracks to start my day and the acetameniphine acts as a sinus track anti inflamitory and helps me rest at night. As for the blured vision, i had an eye exam and found my glasses were outdated so that helped take the ecess strain off. I walk alot and try to stay outside as much as possible near water and trees, this helps becouse the trees give off clean natural oxygen the body is deprived of and the water keeps things moist. I also try to get some "SUN" during the day when i can becouse the body uses the UV-B rays to convert the body's natural cholesterol into vitamine 'D' wich coats the DNA and allows it to heal it'self.  I have a low tollerence for pills but NONE of the above caused any uncomfortable side effects or worry. I HOPE MY APPROACH HELPS AND AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE DONE SOME HOMEWORK ON THIS ****. I AM MISERABLE TOO, WELL, WAS !
Helpful - 0
I experienced this problem 25 years ago i was 15 at the time. One day out of nowhere came this "feeling" of like someone said, a clouded mass came over me. My vision became like my brain wasn't processing what I was seeing and my ears started ringing at the same time. I was terified and felt almost too afraid to tell my parents, thought I might have a brain tumor or something. I've pretty much have adapted to it and lived with it for 25 years and have had many tests. I'm starting to think It's a nurological thing of some sort.
Helpful - 0
My advice is to see a neurologist for all the above issues and make sure you do not have intracranial pressure built up in your brain. That is what i have and a lot of problems you are facing are similar. It does not hurt to go see one and let him evaluate your problem. I have had 3 mri's or eyes and brain and at first i was told i needed brain surgery but now i am taking daimox 3 times a day to see if that can eleviate some of the pressure so my optic nerves are not damaged with the spinal fluid pressure. Good Luck,
Rosemary
Helpful - 0
I've had a drilling pressure in my head for the past 4 or 5 years. I also get a ringing and can hear a low humming sound when I massage above my ears. I have been to the doctor several times and have gotten no where. I also have high irritability, memory loss, extreme fatigue, sensitivity to light, disorientation, speech difficulty and on and on. I use to feel fine. I've been told it can be due to allergies to wheat. went on a no candida diet for months....no help. Told it was due to grinding my teeth at night....got  a night guard...no help. If so many of us here have the same symptoms maybe we should all be part of a medical study. it is exhausting. I am 25 and feel like i'm 50. i've been thinking it may have something to do with cellphones???? I got my cell phone 5 years ago.
Helpful - 0
recently i have had some probs...like my ear drums are going to burst and pressure in my head.inside my ears they feel hot but the doc says it normal temp and no infection,but ears are distorted.had bloods done all fine.my balance sometimes goes unsteady.and if a look around i get unsteady even when standing still. the doc says wait another 3 wks if no better come back and they will do a brain scan.i sometimes have waves of  nausea,any ideas what else this could be?it be on going for 4 wks now.fed up with it.some days better than others.my mind then races with the thought of brain tumours !. even when typing i get mixed up with spelling...like my brain cant function right.
Helpful - 0
hi

i am 35 yrs old female, i had this awful attack few days ago and few months ago.
i felt this flutter in my left ear then suddenly i felt dizzy panicky and my vision were blurred i felt i'm going to faint /colapse or something, felt so hollow inside.
my instinct told me to  put cold water on my head my chest my face and i did. i got cold shivers from the sudden cold water on my body. but believe it or not i felt better and did deep breathing exercise too.
thats what i did when i had my second attack. thats my survival kit
however i am not sure why i get this episode at all. also i have not seen my gp too, because i am scared he might say the ''c'' word or other big diseases.

whats wrong with me? am i getting old? or is it in my head? what do u think?
Helpful - 0
AJC
I just wanted to let you know that I have had ringing in the ears and pressure in my head. My pressure is inside my skull but sometimes it feels as though it is my lymph nodes behind my ears swelling up like rocks. I have had other symptoms but all of my symptoms were caused by taking an SSRI: Lexapro. I am assuming you have ruled out tinitis and menengitis (due to the strep). I have read about these symptoms and the conclusion is usually one of 3 causes: infection, neck injury and nerves in the brain problem. To be honest, I completely believe you when you say it is not anxiety that brings it on. I believe you because I have experiences where stress wasn't it. It is physiological. I hope you find your answer because I am going through hell for almost 4 months from the Lexapro. Were you taking paxil before the symptom or any other brain med such as an anti-depressant or anti-psychotic? I will sat though, the more stress I have in my life, the more volume I hear in my ears.
(***@****)
Helpful - 0
I know that low blood pressure can cause that feeling of pressure (or brian expanding in head), sometimes accompanied by the sound of "heart pumping" (also a type of tinitus). Low blood pressure (mildly low, and particularly at certian periods during the day) can be caused by several variables in one's life. Stress, caffine withdrawal, dehydration, poorly balanced diet (are you on a diet of any kind?), or even a few too many drinks the night before. Additionally, durietics (SP? "water pills"), or drugs containing durietic ingrediants can lower blood pressure. Family genes make some people more vulnerable to random drops in blood pressure that can be triggered by the factors listed above, even daily in some cases. It's when your blood pressure remains low that you have a medical "issue" (at that point, you would be placed on meds). You can usually that it might becoming a problem when the pressure lasts, is frequent, and also makes you feel lightheaded, (or even heavy headed), or faint.... especially upon standing quickly.

Amber
Helpful - 0
HI A FEW WEEKS AGO I WAS DRIVING AND CAME ALL OVER FAINT AND MY MATE HAD TO TAKE OVER DRIVING MY VISION WAS VERY BLURED AND I WAS VERY DISORIENTATED HAD TESTS IN A AND E DEPT NOTHING WAS FOUND SO WENT ON MY WAY BUT NOW I HAVE HAD THIS PRESSURE AT THE BACK OF MY HEAD AND STILL FEEL A BIT DISORENTATED WENT BACK TO A AND E AND THEY GAVE ME A C.T. SCAN ALL WAS CLEAR BUT NOW I FOUND YOUR SITE AND WONDERED IF ANYBODY HAS HAD  ANY LUCK GETTING OVER THIS DELBOY7
Helpful - 0
my spinal tap was a little elevated but i guess that was somehow normal. thats was five years ago right after it happened i wonder if i should get another one
Helpful - 0
expatandconfused, we do suffer from simillar symptoms and i do have more pressure towards the back of my head. i wish i could help you figure it out. I can definately relate to how you feel. thanks for posting a comment and i would like to chat with you.
Helpful - 0
This sounds all to familiar..I am a 32 year old male that has had the same symptoms for six months and no one can give me any answers besides a diagnoses of a pseudotumor because my two spinal taps were elevated...have you had a tap and what was pressure? Hang in there and keep positive..everyday for me is a struggle too.  I went from working 10 hour days/working out everynight/to this.  I know how you feel but look at the spinal results.

Do you're hands tremor?
are you better in am and in night?
Concentration issues?
Helpful - 0
Hey Kdog,

Besides ear ringing , I have all your symtomps: a clouded mass overtook my head, my vision went disorientated, strong pressure built up in THE BACK OF MY head. I am a 23 year old female, and NEVER EVER had I complained soo much about my health before. It's been going for 4-5 months now, and I am afraid I will never be the same again.
Being 23 I am trying to lead a normal life but it is close to impossible. I am away from my parents but I have found ways to deal with all the symtomps on my own. The worst of all is the distorted vision and the horrible fatigue.
Sometimes i wonder if it is because of anxiety and depression just because some doctors not capable on a diagnosys have suggested it. I do seem to be more dependent on people nowadays and less able to want to be independent. However, I want to give an example: today I went ice skating with a friend but they gave me really bad rental skates. I am soo scarred I would fall and couldn't understand why I skate so bad although I was much better before. I asked my friend to pull me closely and hold my hand tight so I didn't fall. Then I changed my skates - and I felt free to skate on my own, no anxiety about the ice or anything; Then I realised it: something is wrong physically - and I will work to do my best to make it better - so I can skate free again. Best of wishes to you. I am sorry not even Mayo Clinic could help. If you ever want to chat let me know.
Helpful - 0
is their anyway strep or mono can spread into neck or head and be undetectable, like cause brain stem dammage or infection in necks blood vessel
Helpful - 0
my anxiety definately intenseifies it, but tere is periods of  time when i am relaxed and t is still there. i also take a small dosage of paxil for it but i dont think it works that well. thanks for comment
Helpful - 0
your to young to start this life of worry, beleive me I went
through it. If you had all those test which were negative like
you said then there is nothing physically wrong with you. Stress
and anxiety can cause the symptoms you describe. relax and maybe talk to someone about anxiety medicine it will help.
Helpful - 0
Try an ENT.After a viral infection it can play havoc on the vestibular system.Theres test they can do to see if this is the cause.Try to avaoid asprin and any product containing quinine,this will cause the ringing in the ears to become worse.caffine and salt should also be watched.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease