Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CNS INFLAMMATION

HI i am new to this site come across by accident.I have CNS lupus along with sjogrens and raynauds.I have been put on Prednisone after coming out of hospital after having 5 days IV steroids and now been told i need prednisone for life along with immunesuppresants.I am also on fosomax for osteoparosis and other drugs for sjogrens.Is anyone going through same problems and if so how long was it before you could get up and walk about my legs are so shakey infact all my body is.I did ask the doctor if i could be without meds as life long medications is a worry to me as only have one kidney so need to look after it,My doctors have said no there is more risk if i don't take them as it's a family link i lost my dad to brainstem stroke in 2002 and also my grandad before him.Now worried for my daughters age 14, 20 who both have vascular disorder and b12 defiacancey and epilepsy.My son the only one it's missed thank god.I am at this moment feeling so trapped and don't know where to turn i can't keep moaning at my husband he looks after me best he can along with our children and holds down a full time job.The fact i have been ill since giving birth very prem to my youngest daughter now 14 and have done my best to keep active swimming 1 mile a day and doing weights then all of a sudden the illness takes a hold is so heart destroying feeling like the illness as won and all my keep fit and healthy as gone out the window.As anyone been through this and gone back to there keep fit plans.swimming weights etc.?
At the moment i need help to get up the stairs and also walk.
bye for now sue xx
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sue,

It sounds like you have a lot to deal with, having CNS lupus as well as Sjogrens.  Not to discourage you from posting here, but you might also want to find a lupus forum and post there.  I'm sure there are many to be found on the internet. You might find somebody whose lupus has attacked their CNS as yours as.  

I don't know if you will find anyone on this site that has lupus, but there are people who have neurologic autoimmune diseases that have symptoms that wax and wane just as your lupus symptoms do.  I guess that is pretty typical of autoimmune diseases in general.  I have been sick for about 13 years and have read everything under the sun/on the internet regarding autoimmune diseases, including the connective tissue diseases/lupus, because I initially thought I had a CTD.  I still am not sure what my dx is, but hopefully will be finding out in the next couple weeks.  Most recently, after reading more and more, I thought my symptoms were most consistent with MS with an autonomic neuropathy component, but I just returned from Mayo and the neurologist there thought my symptoms were consistent with something called autoimmune autonomic neuropathy.  I left without a dx, and hopefully will hear the test results soon.  I know I have autonomic neuropathy already, just don't know what the cause is.  

As far as exercise, I am the same way.  When I feel well I walk three miles almost every day.  I had gained a LOT of weight and developed severe sleep apnea because of it.  I couldn't tolerate the CPAPs.  I already have something wrong with my breathing/weak chest (possible diaphragm involvement), as well as asthma, so that made my breathing problems worse.  I decided about 16 months ago that I had to do something about it and started walking almost every day and eating a mostly vegan/low-cholesterol diet, etc., and have lost most of it.  The way I figure it is I want to do what I can to make my body healthy in general (when I am able/feeling well enough) because I can't do anything to stop whatever disease process is going on that has made me sick for so many years.  I can walk three miles a day one week and the next week, if I have an exacerbation, be so faint, light-headed, short of breath/breathing slowed down, that I have trouble getting through the day much less walk.

I saw what you wrote about prednisone (blood sugar levels, osteoporosis, etc).  I guess that is the unfortunate down side to being on it long-term.  It's really not much of a choice to have to choose between a drug that is so harsh on the entire body or exacerbation of one's awful disease.  I am hoping to God I do not have to go back on this drug myself.  What is the highest dose you were put on and do you get maintained on a lower dose?  You mentioned you are on it chronically, so I wondered how that worked.
Helpful - 0
hi,annie the methyleprednislone was 1gram and 5 days.I also took up swimming due to not being able to walk without chronic pain so swimming was the right exercise and also weights is easier as don't have to move and sit while doing the weights.I have found walking difficult since 1992 after birth of my youngest daughter.The higest dose of prednisone i have had is 80mg and yes i was able to taper down and be on 20mg with other medications,This illness took over me on holiday in spain in hot weather i think and wish i had never gone now.Not been well since september,Just wish i could get back to my swimming and at least feel steady enough to even get out the chair alone.I have health service help while i am ill and husband at work emergancy alarms etc. I also had brain operation in 2001 due to intercranal pressure it was up to 36 while the norm is about 16 i beleive.I am on the lupus site but not alot known about the CNS Lupus i was just wondering if anyone on this site has more knowledge.Thanks for any replys all helps.

bye for now sue xx
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease