Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Decrease in Tongue nimbleness during speech

During the past six months, I've notice a slight decrease in nimbleness during speech. I say "nimbleness" because I don't think I've lost too much "mobility." I can still move my tongue around adequately. It is only during talking that I feel my tongue as well as my other facial muscles (which are involved in speech) can't move as well. It seems that my tongue as well as my facial muscles get tired more quickly (on top of being less nimble).
The only thing I'm afraid of is bulbar ALS, but I don't have any swallowing, drooling, or vocal problems. However, perhaps it's early and that these symptoms haven't manifested themselves yet. As for tongue fasciculations, can you feel them like fasciculations elsewhere in the body? Or does it have to be examined by a neurologist?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have experienced similar symptoms over the last 2.5 months. My tongue has felt tired (or almost swollen at times?). I have other issues as well though. I have had full body fasciculations (twitching) for about 10 months now. The twitching started in my right elbow and forearm, and my left tricep, along with my fingers at times. Within a month, I had twitches pretty much everywhere. About 2.5 months ago, my tongue started feeling tired and my jaw would get tired too. My tongue feels weird all the time now, like I can feel it when normally I wouldn't be aware of my tongue being in my mouth. My abdominal muscles feel tired all the time now. I can still stand, jog, lift weights, etc. I have an appointment with a neurologist next thursday. I am not sure what is going on with me. I think the initial twitching started late this past February, with by mid-late March I had twitching pretty much everywhere. I can trigger my own twitching in certain areas as well.

Does anybody have issues with involuntary twitching with no movement, and with flexing of a muscle, you can cause twitches to occur right after you stop contracting the muscle. With my right elbow, if I flex my arm, it will twitch about 5-10 times after I let off of the contraction. I can do the same thing with my abdominal muscles if I contract them. Any thoughts? Is this a typcial ALS sign?
Helpful - 0
I'm not an ALS expert, but I think the tongue tiredness is symptomatic of bulbar ALS, different from full-body ALS. I don't any fasciculations in the rest of my body. I can't tell if I have fasciculations in my tongue. I heard that you can't feel fasciculations in the tongue, only in the body. However, I can't tell whether or not I have fasciculations in my tongue. If I stick my tongue out, my tongue would move, but it seems more analogous to the slight trembling of the hand than fasciculations.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease