Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

AVM(arterievenosmalformation)

I have a AVM which never caused any bleedings or symptoms yet.It was a check up when they found it.The doctors drove me crazy that I'm gonna die and that it is a ticking bomb in my head.They did an Angiograph which showed the venes are in a very good condition and there was no bleeding ever.Now they wanna do radiosurgery very fast.I really don't know what to do i have no health problems from it yet.Since I know it I'm scared to death.I don't know if the risk without or with the surgery is higher.I don't wanna die because I'm only 27.Is the risk to just leave it and watch it higher orsk of the radiosurgery?The AVM is 2.5 cm big and doesn't pressure anything it's attached to the right side of the brain.I hope anyone can help me so I know which way to go.Surgery or not.What's more dangerous?Excuse my bad writing I'm from Germany.Thank you.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
make an appointment with a Neurosurgeon..preferably one skilled in vascular.  There are a few options available....one, watch it, two, surgery, three, radiation (bad thing with radiation, it takes about 2-3 years for results) and four embolization (much like an angiogram but they put glue in it to seal it).  The 'team' will guide you on which option is best for you.  sometimes it is a combination of the options...good luck to you
Helpful - 0
My cousin's husband had 2 AVM's. They were causing him to pass out and have bad headaches. He had the surgery done in NY by a doctor known for this procedure. It went really well but when in there they saw another one. He had radiation for it the 1st time but it didn't work that well so he had the surgery. He is doing really well now. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease